Chapter Forty

The next morning before lectures, everybody was groaning about how the holiday was over and they were either hungover or just not at all ready to get back into it or face the reality of finals. The next two weeks were going to be hell for pretty much everyone, but you had a head start on your painting since you were given the assignment a couple of weeks ago, but the tests – especially the art history one, were going to be brutal.

So, still in denial, the group of you sat around the table since Scott and Sam had cooked everyone breakfast. You thought, after being apart for some days, everyone would be talking their heads off, catching everybody else up.

But no.

You were the only one asking them questions about their trips back home or how Loki and Thor hosted Carol for the long weekend, but you were getting frustrated because they were giving short answers before immediately going back to smiling down at their plates. You gave up after a bit, sitting back with a huff and moving your food across your plate with your fork before piercing a piece of sausage so aggressively that it clanged into the plate, keeping the fork upright when you let go.

"What the fuck is going on?" You asked when they all froze from the noise, but you didn't miss how Scott was trying not to smile, and Pietro was quietly snickering.

"How was your break?" Wanda asked back after a moment and the suggestive tone paired with her smirk had the color drained from your face before you turned to face Yelena.

"What did you do?" You sneered lowly and she gave a small shrug, avoiding your glare as she chewed slowly.

"Where's the bride to be!" Bucky's voice was heard shouting in the doorway before said door banged against the wall behind it and you cringed, pinching the bridge of your nose as a few of them started laughing, "There she is!"

"Yelena, I'm gonna kill you for real this time." You scowled at the blonde and she winced apologetically.

"I only told Wanda and Hope!" She tried and you shook your head in disappointment as Bucky hugged you from behind, swaying you back and forth with a hum, his chin resting on the top of your head.

"And I only told Pietro," Wanda put her hands up, but when Bucky got you out of your seat for a proper hug, she muttered quickly, "And Monica, Steve, Darcy, and Carol."

"Oh, great!" You exclaimed sarcastically when he released you to grab some toast off the table, munching on it with a shit eating grin, "So, only the entire campus knows – thanks, guys, thanks a lot."

"Natasha doesn't," Steve offered quietly, feeling guilty, and then Bucky plopped down next to him, stuffing the last piece of his toast in the blonde's mouth, "Mmph!" He turned towards Bucky with furrowed eyebrows, smiling amusedly after he swallowed, "Thank you?"

"Not that you asked, but I'd like to officiate," Sam told you proudly, "I've been ordained."

"What?" Pietro chuckled, "Since when?"

"Last time you crawled out from under my bed, scaring the shit out of me in the middle of the night, I couldn't sleep, so I got bored and figured what the hell." He shrugged and you chuckled despite everything while Pietro nodded like he understood the reasoning.

"I think the idea of marriage is idiotic," Loki sipped their coffee before raising their cup towards you and smirking as they added, "Fitting."

"I'm not proposing to my lady love right now and is there any possible way she doesn't have to hear about this?" You sat down, burying your face in your hands with a groan.

"My best friend and my sister are getting married!" Tony chose that moment to yell as he entered the house with Rhodey at his side.

"What the fuck, I thought I was your best friend you ass." Rhodey huffed, shoving him a little, and Tony put his hands up.

"Last time we fought, you ran off with my third favorite suit, so let's not do this right now, mmk?" Tony told him before raising his voice again, not waiting for a response as he got into the kitchen, "Why aren't we celebrating? Meathead, grab the champagne! Make mimosas or at least put some Irish in these coffees!"

"Who the hell are you talking to?" Steve snapped and Tony smirked mischievously when he noticed the blonde was practically on Bucky's lap with how close they were sitting.

"Thought it was obvious, ken doll," He shrugged, "But since you're here too, maybe the two of you could figure out how to pop a bottle? I mean, he did manage to pop your ch-"

"Alright, that's enough," Bucky stood abruptly, the chair scraping across the floor and you're pretty sure Wanda was chanting 'fight, fight, fight' under her breath, but who's to say, "You better shut your mouth, Stark, before I do it for you."

"Ooh, I'm shaking in my Guccis," He pretended to be scared but then snorted a laugh as Bucky got up in his face and Scott was the one who actually looked fearful, "Puh-lease, your threats are more pathetic than your grades and you're flunky just about," He squinted with a high voice, "Everything and – oh!" He pretended to realize something with a finger to his chin before anyone could respond, smirking darkly as he added, "Except in the fine studies of banging twinky football captains who wear American flag boxers."

"Whoa, Tony," You smirked, putting a hand up, "How would you know that?"

"What – blood's thicker than water, Y/n! Whose side are you on??"

"Sorry, sorry, it had to be asked," You shook your head apologetically with your hands raised, Bucky's breathing having picked up, and then you put your fists up, ready to fight, "Who do I punch? Who do I punch? Feels like Rhodey."

"Fuck you!" Rhodey laughed and you winked at him.

"Uh, babe?" Natasha spoke up from the doorway the same time Wanda shouted, "Since when did this become A WHORE HOUSE??"

And that kind of sums up...everything.