chapter 4: the escape

"and i was running far away, would i run off the world someday?"
runaway, aurora

Newt's POV:

I curse under my breath as my eyes dart to several armed guards in the medical room. Of course there's gotta be bloody guards. Why the shuck is Teresa even in a different room in the first place?

The guards whip their heads around to us immediately.

"Hey, where did you kids come from?" I hear one of them yell before Thomas launches at him, being the reckless shank that he is. Minho is the next to join in, knocking the weird gun-looking weapon from another guard's grasp.

The rest of us jump in, and I use a nearby chair to knock another guard to the ground. I see Thomas in the corner of my eye frantically shaking Teresa awake, who had been in one of the beds hooked up to a machine. She's visibly disoriented, but processes the situation quickly.

I use the same chair to knock out a guard
about to shoot Isa, who had been protecting Aris from another guard. I watch as she quickly sweeps him to the floor, rendering him unconscious with an efficient hit to the temple.

By now all of the guards have been taken care of, but all the noise has surely woken up everyone else by now. Sure enough, I soon hear a blaring alarm sounding through the facility.

"We need to get going. Now," I hear Isa yell.

We all look around in panic, knowing that we're cornered, before Thomas grabs a chair and rams it at the window. It cracks, but it isn't enough to break yet.

"Newt, come help me smash this window!"

I nod in understanding, grabbing the same chair I used earlier and running over to the window. We ram the chairs into the window together as hard as we can, and it finally breaks as thin shards of glass fly everywhere.

The rest of the group rushes over to the window and Thomas leads the way, jumping through onto the ground below. I wait by the side as everyone jumps through one by one. Isa is last, and I offer my hand to her to help her through.

Her lips quirk up into a smile. "Thanks Newt. For covering me back there too." 

"Of course, no problem. We gotta watch each other's backs now, right?" I grin back as she nods, jumping through after her.

The first thing that I notice as I land on the ground is that the outside world is bloody hot. The long-sleeved shirt that WCKD gave us to wear suddenly feels stifling in the heat.

We sprint away from the facility as fast as we can, knowing that WCKD is still on our tail. I struggle slightly to keep up with my limp, but see Minho lag behind to join me in the back of the group. I nod, giving him a quick "thanks" as we run together.

I hear the stomping of boots behind us as the guards follow behind.

"Thomas, we gotta find somewhere to hide! They're gonna catch up to us at this point!" I yell frantically.

He flashes me a quick thumbs up, pointing at a small building up ahead.

We continue to run in that direction, just barely evading the guards by sneaking into the run down building. We stay in a close-knit group, panting as the adrenaline rush goes away.

"What the shuck is this place?" Minho's voice echoes along the walls.

Thomas manages to find a flashlight, flicking it on and pointing the light at our surroundings.

"It seems to be an abandoned shelter of some sort. We should look around to see if we can find any supplies that would be of use," he directs. "Minho, could you come with me to scout out the area? I wanna make sure the guards are gone."