chapter 16: the escape (again)

"lucid dreams like electricity, the current flies through me and in my fantasies i rise above it"
i hate it here, taylor swift

"Enjoying the view?"

Jorge steps into the room, a glint in his eye. There are no guards flanking him this time, and he strolls leisurely up to where Thomas hangs upside down.

"What the hell do you want?" Thomas grits his teeth, clearly trying to seem intimidating. It's not working too well for him though, considering his face is slowly turning red as his rope spins him around in idle circles. I almost let out a small laugh at the sight, but stifle it hastily when I remember our bleak situation.

Jorge shrugs absentmindedly. The bastard is purposefully taking his time questioning us—I can tell that he finds the sight of us hanging upside down to be peak comedy.

"My men want to sell you lot back to WCKD," he starts, his eyes watching our reactions carefully.

I purse my lips tightly at his words, and see the others stiffen around me. He cocks his head at us, continuing without a trace of hesitation.

"Unfortunately, life has taught them to think small," the corner of his mouth quirks up in a grin. "I'm not like that."

I narrow my eyes at him in suspicion. I don't trust this guy, and something about his grin makes me apprehensive toward his next words.

"Is the blood rushing to my head, or is this shank not making any sense?" Minho mutters, and I snicker quietly at his comment. The poor guy hasn't able to catch a break today—first lightning, and now he's being dangled upside down over a fucking pit.

Jorge simply ignores him, taking another step towards Thomas. "Tell me everything you know about the Right Arm."

My eyebrows raise in surprise. Is he actually going to help us?

"I thought you said they were bloody ghosts," Newt interrupts, shooting a disbelieving look at Jorge.

"I happen to believe in ghosts," he smirks, stalking over to the side of the pit. "Especially when I hear them chattering on the air waves."

I flick my eyes to him at this, waiting for the catch.

"Tell me everything you know about them, and we might be able to make a deal," he concludes, eyes trained on Thomas once more.

The boy hesitates. "We don't know much."

A beat passes, and Jorge sighs softly. He cranks a nearby lever, and my whole world spins as we're suddenly dropped five feet lower. We all shriek in surprise when he does so, and I curse colorfully under my breath.

"Okay, okay! I'll tell you!" Thomas yells, panting as he recovers from the sudden drop. "They're in the mountains. That's all we heard, I swear."

Jorge muses silently, a hand still resting lightly on the lever. I eye his hand warily, readying myself for another drop if he gets impatient. But before he can respond, another rough voice cuts in.

"Hey, Jorge. What're you doing?" I turn my head to where the same guard who had kicked in my knee stands in the doorway, eyes narrowed at Jorge suspiciously.

"Just getting acquainted with our new guests," Jorge replies pleasantly. "I'm done now."

"Wait—aren't you going to help us?" Thomas calls back at him desperately.

Jorge only gives the boy a quick wink. "Don't worry, hermano. We'll get you kids back where you belong."

He saunters back to the doorway without another word. The guard shoots us a threatening look of warning, before exiting the room after Jorge.