Ireland

Hello:) This is just smth Im trying out. Let me know what you think!

Ive been yearning for anything vampire related cause im fascinated by them but i wanted like a modern show or book but set in a period drama yk? Also one that isnt extremely cringe and full of cringy smut soooo i started this. Anyways no ones gonna read this bye!

I usually dislike playlists coming with books but Im only plugging some true classical bangers here. I'd say Liebestraum by Liszt is what inspired this the most as well as Kinderszenen by Schumann even though the subject matter is a lot different.
Playlist made by yours truly.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4BHPSJs8eRD8Yi0I0UqnEl?si=QyHfE3DxQNu7wG-N1hOqxQ&pi=e-xT6K2iuoQdmI

The Irish countryside could be described as bleak, triste, and meager by some, yet one cannot lay blame upon its inhabitants. The clouds, relentless in their dominion over the sky, drenched the acres, paths, towns, and people in a constant stream of cold, wet, and disheartening atmosphere. One had to be ever-vigilant, lest one spend half the day drying off before a chimney. Time, however, was a luxury; securing a meal took precedence.

Yet, amidst this seemingly grotesque and dreary setting, one soul perceived a hidden beauty. Lucy did not wish to escape the gentle, wet breeze of the rain-laden wind. The sight of droplets clinging to freshly bloomed forget-me-nots, spreading joy in their delicate way, bestowed upon her a rare tranquility. Counting the new blossoms occupied her for hours each day, offering a brief respite from the gnawing, all-consuming hunger within her. Despite her tender age of one and twenty, she felt the deepening crease on her forehead each night as she lay in bed. Life was not easy, but she found contentment.

"Ah, my dear Lucy, would you care to take some freshly baked bread home with you?" the kindly baker inquired as she passed by his shop.

Lucy checked her bag, hoping to find some pennies to feed her siblings. "I'm afraid, sir, I can't today... but I wish you a delightful evening!" She offered a small bow and turned toward home.

Upon entering, she stepped into the familiar space where she was born, raised, and expected to spend her life. The tranquility she enjoyed in the open fields had no place here, but she cherished every moment with her loved ones.

"I have returned from my promenade!" she announced.

A woman with deeply tired, downcast eyes peered around the kitchen doorframe, offering a weak smile. "I'm making dinner; would you be so kind as to help me?"

Lucy's mother did not need to wait for a reply; she knew she could rely on her eldest daughter. Lucy glanced into the pot, finding the same fare as every night: watered-down carrot soup with stale bread and some bones for nutrition, or so they hoped.

"Have the children been well today?" Lucy knew her mother tried her best, but the hard work of the acres was taking its toll on her strength.

"Oh, quite alright, yes, darling. I'm a bit tired, but nothing a family meal couldn't solve."

Lucy returned an equally weary smile, aware that her mother's words were less than truthful.

Once Lucy and her mother had called her father and her four siblings to the table, they began to share the events of their day. The twin brothers, James and Jacob, bickered as always. Mina complained about the meal, "It's always the same, and I'm still hungry," to which her mother, Elizabeth, responded, "I know, sweetheart, I know. Have some more bread. Soon we'll have more to it, I promise." This ritual had become so familiar that Lucy could almost predict each one's cues to speak.

But tonight, something was different.

After the younger siblings were put to bed, Lucy helped her mother clean up while her father sipped tea, occasionally making conversation with the two eldest women of the house. When the chores were done, her parents asked her to sit down once more at the table.

"Darling, we've been thinking," Elizabeth began. "Since you're our eldest daughter at one and twenty, you are more than eligible to marry," her father continued. "Given the grave suffering due to the famine, even I, as a former Brigadier General, cannot provide enough for all of you. Your mother and I have decided."

The silence was profound; one could hear a needle drop. Only the faint crackling of the fire in the chimney broke the stillness. Lucy braced herself for the revelation she felt sure was coming. She suspected her parents had arranged a marriage for her. Though the prospect filled her with horror and disgust, she knew she would comply for her family's sake.

"I'm quite sure you have heard of your father's sister, Carmilla Helsing. She was quite fortunate in her marriage to Baron James Helsing and now resides in London." Elizabeth clarified further, "And, well, they haven't had much luck of their own, but they have kindly offered to take you in, providing you with opportunities we cannot."

Lucy's heart pounded. The thought of leaving her family and the only home she had ever known was terrifying, yet the promise of a new life in London held a flicker of hope. Her parents' decision was clear—she was to go and seize this chance for a better future