Part 15

Grams is screaming, as much as her feeble voice allows, at the detectives through the speakers of the car. She is irate that the press was already reporting on everything, even more so that they basically directly pointed me out. "Don't tell me there is nothing you can do." Grams slaps her hand on the armrest of her captains chair in the rental car.  I knew there was nothing they could do, word was already out, and social media spread things like a wildfire. I was going to be engulfed by its flames. I've had several other people reach out, people who weren't my friends, telling me how sorry they were that I went through what I did. Some people have posted on their treads, absent minded to the fact I can see them, about how I was with Grant. Some wondered if I knew, others slandered his name because the articles stated he witnessed the attack. I shut my phone off, tired of looking at all the posts about me. The car is still sitting in the parking lot of my therapist, my session had ended but Grams was just now wrapping up her conversation with the Dayley Cove police department. I wonder if word would eventually get out about Mr. Wilkes ties to the sheriff in our town, I'm sure the fact that his department isn't dealing with this case will raise red flags. Grams hangs up the phone, "sorry Hun. Should we go get some food?" An invite to lunch also probably meant it was an invite for talking about everything. I agree because it is starting to feel good being able to share things that had been weighting me down so much. Grams smiles and pulls away from the parking spot we took up for the past hour.

.....

"I think we should move you back with us." Grams states as I take a sip of my coke which causes me to choke on the dark liquid. I didn't want to leave here, I had made friends that I loved and I was in the middle of my senior year. "No, I want to finish my senior year here." I reply clearing my throat, trying to shake the burning from it. Grams nods but doesn't respond for a moment. She's zoned in on her plate deep in thought, "Ok, your grandpa and I will rent a home here and stay until the end of your senior year. By then you will be eighteen, heading off to college, so we will go back home with Jackson." I was kind of surprised that she didn't put up a fight though I think my therapist told her that the least amount of change right now would be best. "Thank you Grams." I stand and walk around the table to hug her. She embraces me, her familiar perfume meeting my nose. I missed her so much and it wasn't until her coming her here made me realize this. 

....

It was Thursday, the day that I would be going back to school. Grams had told me several times that I didn't have to go back today but it was what I wanted. I had already missed a lot in the three days I missed, and I also needed to prepare for the next cheer season. I check my hair in the mirror that hangs on the wall in my room. Grams and Gramps had managed to snag a house in a high-end neighborhood. These houses were bigger than the ones from my old street and it was a gated community with night watch. My grandparents liked the idea of those safety measures is what they called them. I have my hair half up and half down, make up smoothed on, lashes boosted from my mascara. People would probably expect to see me as a mess, but the truth was that I was so much better than before. I had let my secret out so I could stop chewing me from the inside out and therapy was aiding in this process. I head down the stairs, two steps at a time, meeting my family in the kitchen. A full breakfast was laid out on the table, I sit next to Stacey and fill my plate with biscuits and gravy, bacon, and eggs. "You ready for today?" Stacey asks which causes Grams to give her a warning look. It would take a while before she stopped treating me like a porcelain doll that could break at a simple drop of words.  Stacey had told me that a lot of people had asked her and my friends where I was and how I was doing. "I am." I reply with confidence. After we both finish our plates, we head to my new car, a forest green convertible, that Gramps brought me home Monday. "I so wish they were my grandparents too." Stacey says as she slips on sunglasses, checking her hair in the visor mirror. I just roll my eyes as I back the car from the driveway, both of my grandparents waving me goodbye from the front step as they lead Jackson to their car. As I pull into the school parking lot several heads turn my way, lips moving quickly as they glance from me back to their friends. I don't hesitate for a moment as I jump from my car, planting my black converse on the asphalt. Arms wrap me from behind with a screech, just like the one from my first day here. "I missed you so much!" Katy exclaims as she hops up and down. Another set wraps around me, Chloe speaks, "I am so glad you are back." I soak in this moment; I missed them more than anything. We walk arm in arm through the halls all the way to my locker. People watch but I ignore them, engulfing myself in conversation with my best friends. I stop short of my locker, a tall body leaning his shoulder against it, watching me walk to him. I stride to him and ruffle my hand through his well-fixed blonde hair. "Hey! Mind the hair sweet cheeks." Liam swats my hand away and a smile quickly sprawls across his face. "Can I get in my locker?" I question, his eyes flicker with humor, trying to decide if he was going to let me get to my books with such ease. "What's the password?" He requests. My mouth gapes open, "Are we five now?" He just shrugs his shoulders, not backing down. "Guess you're just going to have to share your English textbook." I state as I brush past him but before I reach more than two steps away, he flings his arm around my shoulders. "Deal." Liam concedes. Eyes trail me as I walk to my seat, Liam sits in front of me and before he can reach into his bag, I slip my foot through the strap and tug it towards me. "Not so fast Casanova." I pull out his English book and set it on my desk, next I slip my next class textbook into my own bag. "Hey now, I'm going to need my science book." Liam tries to snatch my bag, but I move it quickly away from him. "Aren't you supposed to have quick reflexes? Being that you are a superstar in sports?" I tease. His retort is on the tip of his tongue, but the teacher shuts the door letting us know class was beginning. "Mr. Phillips, where is your textbook." The teacher questions. Liam goes into explaining how he forgot his textbook, the one that sits directly behind him on my desk. Just as I'm letting myself gloat on my success the teacher speaks again, "Find a partner to share with please." Liam doesn't let a moment pass as he scooches his desk back to where our tables are touching. Liam leaves the view of me wide open and the teacher locks eyes on me which makes me shrink in my seat slightly. Everyone at this school knows who I am and what happened to me. The rest of the day I try to focus on my schoolwork, pretending I can't hear the whispers flooding my ears. When the final bell rings I jump up a little too fast, I was ready to leave this building for today. I meet up with my friends who are already talking about plans to head to Liams house to hang and ready everything for the party tomorrow. I shoot my Grams a text telling her that I will be at Liam's house, she immediately responds.

Home at 10, have fun. 

A curfew...that's a weird feeling. I leave Stacey behind; she is catching a ride with Allison back home. When I arrive at Liam's I head to the back patio, first changing into a swimsuit the girls brought me, following the instructions from Katy's text. They were in the hot tub waiting for me, to my surprise the dark-haired boy I had danced with at the last party was sitting next to Chloe. They must have hit it off after I left that night. If I'm remembering this correctly his name is Miles. I slip into the water the heat spreading across my body, relaxing my muscles. Katy sits on top of Nick and Chloe is practically on top of the dark-haired boy. There's a small spot left open near Liam, so I move to it. The chit chat dissipates as the sky darkens. Katy and Nick are the first to leave the hot tub, lips locked, which are soon followed by Chloe and Miles. "Have you talked to Grant lately?" I ask Liam, I feel bad that Grant is missing out on all of this. Liam's face floods with guilt as if I will be mad that he's communicated with his friend, "I checked in. He seems to be doing ok. He's moved to a town almost an hour away and is going by a different name to help hide who he is." My chest tightens, because of me Grant had to pretend to be someone else in order to get an education. Liam catches my face falling and scoots me closer to him, "In no way is that your fault Tess. This trial needs to happen, what they did to you isn't ok." Liam holds his arm around my waist lightly, as if squeezing me would make me crumble into pieces. His touches are always light and playful, I liked it. His blue eyes, not light but deep like the darker parts of the ocean, search my face falling to my lips. When I moved here, I had been so hell bent on keeping Liam at an arm's length away but maybe that was wrong. I immersed myself into trying to figure out Grant and how my mind knew him, now I know why it did. One of my curls defiantly falls into my face which Liam sweeps back with the tips of his fingers, leaving water droplets lingering on my face. "Can I tell you something?" I shake my head to tell him yes. Liam takes a deep breath, "After I first met you, I was determined to get you to like me. I was in awe with your stubbornness and how you wouldn't fall at my feet. I was going to ask you out, after the float trip but Grant told me to back off. I wanted so badly to be the one who got to kiss you, I would have kissed you that night with no hesitation." I shift myself; I was embarrassed to admit that on numerous occasions I had thought about kissing that cocky grin from his face. Liam had never faltered in letting me know I was important to him. I can tell that my silence is causing him to panic, "do...do you love him?" Liam questions. The truth was that I didn't love Grant, "no." All I say is no, I want to say more and tell Liam how disappointed, jealous, I had been when he walked Allison to class that day instead of me. "You don't need to say anything. I understand. You and Grant just broke up. I just needed to tell you." Liam eases my mind, letting it slowdown from its turning gears. My phone rings, Grams. It was time to head home.