Part 17

Liams grip on my back tightens as Grant scrapes his eyes across me. The girl has her hand resting on Grant's chest, head leaning on his shoulder. Seeing him with her might not have done much to me but him seeing me with Liam definitely did something to him. Grant's lip curls and I jut my chin up, he had no place in my life to say anything to me. My group of friends are silent as Miles pops his head from us to Grant. Over the past two weeks it has come out that I wasn't the only girl his dad had hurt, I also wasn't the only one Grant had caught. That part made me hate him. The other thing that came to a surprise was that Grant never gave a testimony, he refused to speak to the police. I could handle the fact that he didn't help me but when it came to a twelve-year-old child, that was different. The girl hanging on him spoke up telling us her name, but it didn't matter. The only thing that did matter right now was that Grant wasn't allowed to be this close to me. Nick jumps in slicing through the tension, he introduces us as if Grant has no idea what our names are. When Nick lands on introductions of Liam, Grants eyes become a slit, he had no right to be mad at Liam. Though anger was bubbling in me, Liam was staying cool. He stretches his hand out to shake Grants, "Nice to meet you." His hand falls from the air, tired of waiting for Grants to meet his. I wonder if Liam misses his best friend, at least the person he thought his best friend was. The girl begins to move away from us but Grant keeps his eyes on me, "We need to talk, alone." He finally whispers. "Fine." I jump to my feet, "but after that, you leave, or I tell everyone who you are." My threat causes him to flinch, apparently, he didn't realize I wasn't a shell of a person who could be used and pushed around. Grant nods in agreement, always a man of few words. I can tell that Liam isn't happy about my decision to speak with Grant, but he doesn't contest. I walk over to the edge of the tree line, far enough away that people couldn't hear us but close enough that Liam could still see me. "You can't be with him." Grant states, his demands meant nothing to me. "That is in no way your business." I cross my arms, the two minutes of time I was giving him, and he was already irritating me. Though I suppose just his presence annoyed me at this point. "I was protecting you from guys like him, Tess. Eventually they will have expectations of you, and do you really think you can meet those? I would have never needed you to meet those expectations." As he says the last part his eyes soften to the same Grant that I thought I knew. "What does that mean." I challenge, I was tired of being treated like a ceramic piece on display in a store that you mother warns you to not touch. "You know what I mean." He bites back, his tone attempting to shut me down. He was getting irritated with me, which was causing his true colors to show, slowly, but they were there. "You sound just like your dad." I spit, making sure to look him up and down with disgust. As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted it. Seeing the face of a man you kissed more times than you can count crumble to pieces takes a toll on your heart. Grant takes a step towards me, fists balled, causing me to jump back from him. The truth was that he scared me because I didn't know if deep down, he really was just like his dad. I guess it was true that you could be with someone and never truly know them. "Just please don't tell anyone who I am." Grant's eyes burn through me. Grant was living in this safe space where no one knew who he really was or where he came from, I was a threat to that sanctuary. Liam has since moved from the table and is making his way towards us, "I really need to get back to the party" with that I push past him and meet Liam mid stride. I bury my body into his as he turns me to walk us back to the party, "stay away from her." Liam warns. Grant doesn't respond but watches as we walk away with me tucked into Liams arms. 

....

"Did you lock the windows and doors?" Liam asks as he checks the cabin for a second time. "Yea and I made sure to set the alarm dad had installed." Nick replies as he hugs Katy. Liam has been on high alert since seeing Grant, I can tell he is teetertottering on the idea of asking me about what happened. I can also see a pang of jealously run across his face though he tries to hide it with his wide smile. He's afraid of the feelings I have, had, for Grant and I can't blame him. Deep down I want to reach to Grant and tell him everything would be ok, at the beginning of all of this I wanted nothing more than to have him along my side. Grant's life has been ripped apart and I feel like he is already going though enough, deep down a part of me still cared for him. So, I wouldn't tell anyone who he was and ruin what he has built.  "You ok Tess?" Chloe asks as she wraps an arm around me. This draws the entire rooms attention to me which is the last thing I want right now. "I'm good, just going to get some sleep for our big float tomorrow." I reply as I stifle out a yawn. We all decide to try to sleep but I can tell from everyone's, including my own, tossing and turning that it isn't working.