𝐱𝐱. 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐚 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐨, 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞

chapter twentywhat it means to be a hero, part one

chapter twenty
what it means to be a hero, part one

            JENNY, INDIRA, AND MILAGRO had a plan.

The ladies made sure they had weapons for safety reasons. They were going up against a very powerful adversary and weapon. There was no way they could show up empty-handed to a gunfight. Fortunately, Ted Kord had created many Blue Beetle weapons during his life, providing a wide array to choose from. Each of the ladies secured their own personal weapon, giving them a sense of security.

They knew their actions were risky, there's no doubt about it. The outcome was uncertain, but one thing they knew for sure: they couldn't stand by and let Victoria win. That was simply not an option. And then there was Jaime—they had to rescue him. Each of the ladies had their own deeply personal reasons. For Milagro, this was her big brother, the one she adored to pieces despite her tough exterior. She couldn't imagine a world without him, especially after losing their father. It had always been just the two of them. She would put her life on the line for him, if that meant he would be safe and sound.

For Jenny, the guilt was almost unbearable. She still felt responsible for Jaime's current predicament. If she hadn't forced the scarab onto him, he would have never been on her aunt's radar. The weight of that guilt drove her to do whatever it took to help him, to make amends for how she had turned his life upside down. For Indira, Jaime was the man she loved. The thought of him being a pawn in Victoria's twisted game was something she couldn't tolerate. She would do anything to protect him, to ensure his safety. This wasn't the life meant for him, and she knew that all too well. They couldn't turn back time, but they could move forward and fight for what was right. The determination in their hearts was palpable. They couldn't afford to fail. They wouldn't fail. Each of them, driven by love, guilt, and unwavering loyalty, knew that this was their fight. And they would see it through to the end, no matter the cost.

At this moment, the ladies found the system control room in the building, guided by Jenny's precise directions. The air was thick with tension and resolve. They all knew what needed to be done: they had to blow it all up. Their tasks were clearplace several bombs strategically throughout the control room to ensure maximum impact. With the last bomb carefully set, the three women gathered at the entrance of the control room. Milagro cast a lingering gaze at the intricate network of wires and screens, envisioning the chaos that would erupt upon detonation. Jenny met her eyes and nodded solemnly, a silent confirmation that their drastic actions were justified. Indira reached out, squeezing both their hands in a firm grip, a gesture of solidarity and determination. They had meticulously planned their escape route, timing every detail down to the second. Casting one final glance at the control room, they turned and hurried away, their footsteps echoing urgently through the corridors.

Just as they narrowly evaded Victoria's men, the women swiftly turned left and pressed against the wall. They watched with worried expressions as the soldiers hurried past, oblivious to their presencea stroke of luck indeed. Now, the moment had arrived to detonate the bombs. Jenny gripped the remote control tightly, her voice steady despite the tension. "Okay, here we go," She whispers, determined to set things right. With a determined push of the button, the remote's display lit up with the word 'Armed', confirming that the command had been successfully transmitted. The bombs went off, causing a massive explosion as a result.