1.5. Atop The Watchtower

We approached the remote resort nestled alongside the shores of Gosaba, which was a modest, unassuming structure. The building itself was constructed from weathered wood and bamboo, which blended seamlessly with the natural environment. The thatched roof, made from dried palm leaves, added a touch of both functional and aesthetically pleasing craftsmanship.

The lower part of the external wall was fortified with mud and cow dung, creating a solid base that insulated the interior from both heat and moisture. This traditional technique not only provided structural strength but also lent a warm, earthy tone to the walls, contrasting beautifully with the natural green of the bamboo above.

Small, hand-carved wooden shutters framed the windows, painted in a fading turquoise. Climbing vines and vibrant bougainvillea cascaded down from the thatched roof, their bright blooms adding splashes of color against the muted tones of the bamboo and mud. These living decorations not only enhanced the aesthetic appeal of the resort but also provided a natural cooling effect, shielding the walls from the direct sun.

A simple wooden sign hung above the entrance, swaying gently in the breeze. Its hand-painted letters, though slightly weathered, proudly declared the name of the resort, 'Green Forest Retreat'.

As we stepped onto the wooden porch, I noticed the small, open-air lobby that served as the resort’s reception area. A friendly, weather-beaten receptionist greeted us with a warm smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners as he welcomed us to our temporary sanctuary.

“Good morning,” I said, returning his smile. “We’d like to book two adjacent rooms, please.”

The receptionist nodded, pulling out a large, weathered ledger from beneath the counter. The resort’s booking system was charming, relying on handwritten entries. He ran a finger down the page, stopping at a pair of empty rooms.

“We have two rooms available next to each other, Sir,” he said, looking up at me. “Will that be suitable?”

“Yes, that’s perfect,” I replied, glancing over at Ruhika. She gave a small nod of agreement, her eyes reflecting the same weariness and anticipation for rest.

As the receptionist made the entries, I took a moment to look around the lobby. It was modestly furnished but cozy, with wicker chairs and tables arranged in a welcoming manner. The walls were adorned with local artwork and photographs capturing the beauty of the Sundarbans.

Once the rooms were booked, the receptionist handed me the keys, each one attached to a small wooden tag with the room number carved into it.