1.7. Royal Bengal Tiger

(Hahaha! The picture above is my recent Instagram post, so I thought of sharing it with you all)

1.7. Royal Bengal Tiger

I felt the darkness take a firm hold on me while I desperately looked for Ruhika. My heart thudded in my chest, each beat echoing my increasing recklessness. Where might she be? I was overcome with a pervasive fear for her safety when I imagined her by herself at night, exposed to the threats posed by the Sundarbans.

I staggered through the resort grounds, my mind racing with possibilities. Every crack of the leaves beneath my feet made my heart race, and the moonlight cast unsettling shadows across my path. "Ruhika!" My voice cracked in the muted air as I called out. There was still no response, except for the haunting silence of the night.

I headed towards the shore, hoping against hope that I would find her there. The path was uneven and rough, and I nearly tripped, but I couldn't stop. The need to find her, to ensure her safety, drove me forward. Regardless, I could not bear the thought of losing her.

I could see the shoreline, the water reflecting the moon. I scanned the shoreline, my eyes straining to catch any sign of her. But all I could see were the soft ripples lapping against the beach, the sporadic flashes of a fish leaping, and the shadowy shapes of boats swaying in the waves.

"Ruhika!" My voice grew louder and more shrill as I let out another cry. I waded into the water without thinking twice, my shoes sinking into the wet sand. My clothes soaked in the iciness of the water, but I was hardly aware of it. All I could think about was finding her.

There was no sign of her anywhere along the shoreline. The realization hit me like a punch in the gut, knocking my breath out completely. My knees buckled, and I collapsed to the ground, clutching at the sand. The enormity of the situation overwhelmed me. I had failed to keep her safe.

Her laugh, her determined look, the way her eyes brightened when she discussed her research—all of these images flooded my thoughts. It felt like the connection we had made was eroding, like the sand in my fists, but it felt so real, so strong. The thought of her in peril, of something happening to her, was unbearably painful.

Tears stung my eyes, and I fought to keep them at bay. I couldn't afford to break down, not now. I had to find her. I had to look further. The encircling cloud of negative thoughts billowing through my veins felt hopeless, but I could not give up. Not when her safety was threatened.

My legs trembling from fatigue, I forced myself to stand. It was a peaceful night, with the stars seeming to be mocking my helplessness as they twinkled overhead. I turned my back on the shore, ideas flying through my head. I would call for assistance, look everywhere within the resort, and do whatever it took to locate her. Until she returned, safe and sound, I was determined to keep going.

I turned another corner in the sand, my eyes straining in the half light of the moon to take in everything that caught my attention. I was about to lose hope when I heard a faint, almost inaudible sound—a soft cooing, like a small, frightened bird. I followed the sound, and then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her.