1.16. Shadowy Cave

1.16. Shadowy Cave

I woke up to the sound of crickets and cicadas threatening to tear my eardrums apart

I woke up to the sound of crickets and cicadas threatening to tear my eardrums apart. My body, worn out and in pain, was sprawled on the cold, uneven floor. When I tried to sit up, my head was torn with excruciating pain.

"Where am I?" I scanned my eyes around me, my heart thumping at the site of the old confined area. To my utter surprise, the gloomy place seemed like a very primitive cave, with its walls curving on the inner side and the roof would almost touch my head if I stood up on my limbs. "This looks like a historical cave."

I attempted to pull my legs to my bosom, but the unbearable pain in my lower limbs would not allow me. Adding more to my misery was the aching of both my elbows and wrists, and I could not seem to recall how I landed up at such a strange-looking place.

Though it was difficult to perceive through the dark passage of the cave, I had no choice. I could not even guess which way to go or how to lead my way out of this eerily dingy space. My body was too weak to sustain any movement, and the pain was increasing with each passing minute.

"Has anyone intoxicated me?" I asked myself for I could find no one around me. Not a single human being but only other biological elements present inside the cave to accompany me.

On the wall in front of me was a dancing shadow of cobwebs, with spiders hanging loosely like curtains from every nook and corner of the area on display. Insects crawled on the rock-like structure, while cracks in some parts of the ceiling assisted the formation of a long trail of ants to travel to their destination.

To my horror, the floor of the cave was not worth-seeing at all; there were dead bodies of little creatures littered all over and few remnants of bones were visible from a distance. I wanted to scream then and there, but I would be barely audible to the outside world from this little confined space.

The sound of water dripping from the crevices on the ceiling felt like certain breathable music as I lay there silently, waiting for my hurting body to recover as soon as possible. From the spot where I was lying on my back, I could see a very tiny streak of light gaping at the entrance of the cave. The mouth of the cave had surely swallowed the light of the sun to its own discretion.

As time flew by, the little light was gradually beginning to fade away. Darkness was oppressive, and I did not want to die a death so painful and horrible. Some random rustling of unseen bats and other creatures also shivered me, and I silently prayed for some miracle to happen.

My mind drifted back to the horrible time when our boat capsized and the forces of nature compelled me to separate from Vedhant. We promised each other for giving a chance to whatever was brewing between us, not knowing that we would face a separation so awfully painful.

I could vividly recall Vedhant's face, which carried the pensive craving expression of saving me from drowning. I wondered whether he had made it to safety; and if he didn't, why did I?