chapter eight: midnight magic

"in a room full of stars, she outshone them all, a moonlit whisper in a sea of noise

"in a room full of stars, she outshone them all, a moonlit whisper in a sea of noise."

_________

Draco stood in the corner of the dimly lit Slytherin common room, nursing a glass of fire whiskey. The familiar buzz of laughter and chatter surrounded him as the room filled with the usual throng of students revelling in their own sense of invincibility. Even after the war, the Slytherins partied as if nothing had changed, clinging to the remnants of their past with stubborn pride.

He watched them through hooded eyes, detached yet observant, his thoughts far away from the revelry. The room was a blur of green and silver, faces he knew well but felt increasingly distant from. The fire whiskey burned in his throat a welcome distraction from the haunting echoes of his own memories.

Suddenly, a hand ruffled his meticulously styled hair, jolting him from his reverie. He spun around to find Blaise grinning at him, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Malfoy! You're not going to believe this," Blaise said, his voice barely audible over the music and laughter.

Draco glared at him, hastily trying to smooth his disheveled hair. "I cannot believe you ruined my hair," he muttered to himself, his voice dripping with irritation as he attempted to fix the damage.

Blaise crossed his arms, looking amused. "Oh, come on, Draco, don't be so dramatic. It was a mess anyway. You should thank me for adding some style to that bird's nest you call hair."

Draco rolled his eyes, giving up on his hair for the moment. "You have a knack for exaggeration, Blaise. Now what's this unbelievable news you've got?"

Blaise leaned in, a conspiratorial smirk on his face. "Well, you know how we were talking about spicing up the party?"

Draco raised an eyebrow, already sensing trouble. "Yes, and?"

"And I thought we needed something, or rather someone, to really shake things up," Blaise continued, his eyes gleaming with mischief.

Draco sighed, taking another sip of fire whiskey. "Get to the point, Blaise. I don't have all night to listen to your cryptic nonsense."

Blaise's grin widened, clearly enjoying dragging out the suspense. "Patience, Malfoy, patience. You see, Pansy and I managed to convince a very special guest to join us tonight."

Draco's curiosity was piqued despite himself. "Oh really? Who could possibly make this party any more of a circus than it already is?"

Blaise's smirk turned possibly wicked. "Lovely Luna Lovegood. She's on her way here as we speak."

Draco choked on his fire whiskey, the burn intensifying as he coughed in surprise. "You did what?" His voice rose, drawing a few curious glances from nearby revellers. 

"Yeah, Luna Lovegood." Blaise repeated, clearly savouring the moment. "She's coming to our little soiree. Thought it might liven things up a bit, don't you think?"