chapter eleven: fractured hearts

"she felt his words like cold wind, pushing her away, each syllable a gust that carried her heart further into the lonely twilight

"she felt his words like cold wind, pushing her away, each syllable a gust that carried her heart further into the lonely twilight."

__________________

Luna stood in a trance in the middle of the dimly lit Hogwarts corridor, the ancient stone walls around her seeming to breathe and shift in the flickering torchlight. Her wide, silver eyes stared ahead unseeing, lost in a whirlwind of thoughts and fears. She clutched her wand tightly, its familiar weight grounding her in the reality of the moment.

Draco was late for their prefect duties, and the unease that had settled in her chest since the previous night only grew heavier. She had been troubled by seemingly everything lately: the relentless nightmares that plagued her sleep, the constant knot of anxiety that twisted in her stomach, and most of all, Draco. The tension between him and Ron had finally erupted into a physical confrontation, and she had witnessed every painful moment. She just hoped he was okay.

A sudden, familiar voice broke through her reverie. "Come on, Lovegood. Let's get this over with."

Luna turned, slightly startled, her heart skipping a beat. Draco stood before her, his usual swagger replaced by a weary slouch. His face was a canvas of fresh bruises and fading contusions, purples and blues blending into the pale of his skin. His left eye was swollen, and a nasty cut marred his cheek. The sight of him, so visibly wounded, made her heart ache.

"Draco..." she whispered, concern etched deeply in her voice. Her fingers itched to reach out, to touch his face, to somehow ease his pain. But he brushed her worry aside with a dismissive wave of his hand, his expression hardening into a mask of indifference.

"Let's just do our rounds," he muttered, his voice rough and low. He glanced around the empty corridor, avoiding her gaze. "We have a job to do."

Luna nodded, though the weight in her chest made it hard to breathe. She fell into step beside him, their footsteps echoing softly in the silence. The air between them was thick with unspoken words, each too afraid to break the fragile peace.

As they walked, Luna couldn't help but steal glances at Draco. His usual air of aloof confidence was gone, replaced by something darker, more vulnerable. She had always seen through his bravado, glimpsing the boy beneath the mask. But now, the mask was shattered, and the raw, painful truth was laid bare.

They reached the end of the corridor and turned into another, the shadows deepening. Luna felt a shiver run down her spine, and she couldn't hold back any longer.

"Draco, you don't have to pretend with me," she said softly, her voice barely more than a whisper. "I saw what happened. I know it wasn't your fault."

Draco stopped walking, his shoulders tense. For a moment, she thought he wouldn't answer. Then, slowly, he turned to face her. The pain in his eyes was unmistakable, and it cut her to the core.