chapter nine: safe haven

"cradled within his steadfast embrace, she found sanctuary from the tempest, his presence a shield against the chaos of the world

"cradled within his steadfast embrace, she found sanctuary from the tempest, his presence a shield against the chaos of the world."

_________

Blaise navigated his way through the throng of dancing Slytherins, a mischievous grin on his face and a tray of shots in hand. The liquid in the glasses shimmered under the pulsating lights, promising a night of forgetfulness and fun. He reached Draco, Pansy, and Luna, who were clustered together near the bar, their faces flushed with the excitement of the party.

"Thought you might need these," Blaise announced, raising his voice over the booming music. He set the tray down on a nearby table, the glasses clinking together invitingly. "Cheers to new friendships and old habits!"

Draco eyed the shots warily, his gaze flicking to Luna. She looked at the glasses with a mix of curiosity and trepidation. "I don't know if Lovegood is up for this," Draco said, hesitantly reaching for a glass but pausing midway. "She doesn't exactly seem the type to handle it."

Pansy burst out laughing, the sound loud and merry. "Oh, please, Draco," she said, rolling her eyes. "You should've seen her high. I promise you, she can handle a little firewhiskey."

Draco's eyes widened in surprise, his usually composed expression giving way to shock. "You got Lovegood high?" he asked incredulously, turning to Pansy with an expression that was half-amused, half-scandalized.

Pansy shrugged, a playful smirk on her lips. "It was just a bit of fun. She's got more spirit than you give her credit for, Malfoy."

While Draco and Pansy argued over the merits of Luna's tolerance for such substances, Luna herself was staring at the tray of shots, her determination hardening. She caught the way Draco's brow furrowed, the slight hint of skepticism in his eyes. She wasn't one to back down from a challenge, especially not one so indirectly presented.

Before anyone could react, Luna reached over and deftly plucked a shot from the tray in Blaise's hand. She held the glass up to the light, the liquid inside catching the glow of the party lights. "To new experiences," she said simply, and with a quick, decisive motion, she tipped the glass back and swallowed the shot in one go.

Blaise let out a low whistle, clearly impressed. "Damn, Lovegood. I wasn't expecting that."

Luna set the empty glass back on the tray, a small, satisfied smile playing on her lips as the alcohol burned its way down her throat. "It's not as bad as I thought it would be," she said, her voice light and steady, though her cheeks were already starting to turn a little pink.

Draco, momentarily stunned, blinked at her, his mind racing to catch up with what had just happened. He'd been ready to argue about Luna's suitability for shots, and now here she was, proving him utterly wrong. "Well... I stand corrected," he muttered, his tone begrudgingly admiring.