XXXXIII. you did well, my love

dimple :

I stared at my own reflection in the mirror.
Somehow, the eyes that should have shone with glee, seemed hollow.
What was all this tragedy?
I was marrying a man who loved me, waited for me, and still I did not seem happy.
"You look really beautiful, Dimpy.", Kinjal bhabhi said beaming. I forced a smile.
Diwan had told me how Kinjal had been Sumedh's first love.
And he too had waited.
Yet he never made it a point to even remotely inform anyone about it.
I would have happily believed he still loved her and moved on, with a less forced smile, had he not confessed in a drunken fit.

He had said he loved me.
Why should he though?
He is rich, he is handsome, he could have anyone.
Why his late brother's widowed wife who already has been divorced once before?
Who would want that kind of baggage in their lives? Especially when they have so much better options!

Except that dilemma, I knew, I could not say no to Titu.
How could I deny a man who loved and waited for me?
I should be grateful for his love. He was even ready to be Ghar Jamai, just for me.

I inhaled deeply, gulped nervously, and stood up.
I wore a turquoise lehenga, matched with beautiful platinum and diamond jewellery. Diwan had informed me, they had been meticulously chosen by Sumedh.
"It is time for the engagement.", Someone said, and I nodded.

Of course, it was.
Sumedh and I had met by chance, obviously, there was no way our lives could be one.

.

vanraj :

I stood beside Anupamaa, holding back my urge to wrap an arm around her waist and let the world know she was mine.
She glanced up at me, with that enchanting smile.
Woman could single handedly shut all therapists' chambers with that smile.

"Look at Aadhya.. she is sitting with the kids and talking.", She said.
Indeed, Aadhya was sitting with Pari, Mahi and Ishani talking about something while Ansh made narrowed eyes feeling left out in the women's conversation.
"My poor baccha Ansh.. he has been crushed under the overwhelming female population.", I said sighing.
"Aww..", Anupamaa said grinning as she slipped her hand into mine.

I held it immediately.
The intimacy of such subtle touch was different.

After a while Pakhi came downstairs. She paused below the staircase. She glanced at Anupamaa, but immediately tore her gaze off her and walked down to the kids.
I could say, something had changed in her.
In all these years, she had been particularly heartless, but now.. something seemed different, as she sat beside the kids.
"Do you think she will forgive me?", Anupamaa asked softly.
"Give her the time.", I said, as Pakhi took Ishani onto her lap.

A shocker for most people, really.

"Trust her. She is your daughter, after all.", I added, warmly.
"Yes, but she has a lot of you too. Especially the temper.", Anupamaa said sighing.
"You know how my temper is. It is strong, but when it starts melting, it disappears almost instantly.", I replied as her lips curved into a wider smile.

"Have you seen Sumedh? He does not look fine.", She said, her brows furrowing in concern as she shifted her gaze to Sumedh, standing by the podium for the bride and groom, looking down indistinctly.
"I noticed too. I asked his assistant Diwan, but he did not tell me anything. And Sumedh.. well.. is not too much of an extrovert.", I said honestly, sighing.
"Hmm.. But I have seen Dimpy a little off as well. I went upstairs a while back and she.. just did not look happy. She too did not give a reason.", Anupamaa said sighing.