2

Charlotte couldn't get Engfa out of her mind. Every encounter, every icy glance, and every brief exchange replayed in her thoughts. There was something magnetic about Engfa, something that pulled Charlotte in despite the cold exterior. Determined to understand her better, Charlotte decided to try a different approach.

The next day, Charlotte arrived at school early, hoping to catch Engfa before the crowds arrived. She found her in the courtyard, once again sketching under the old oak tree. Taking a deep breath, Charlotte approached her with a coffee in hand.

“Morning, Engfa,” Charlotte said cheerfully, holding out the coffee. “I thought you might like this.”

Engfa looked up, her expression unreadable. For a moment, Charlotte feared she might reject the gesture. But then Engfa took the cup, her fingers brushing against Charlotte’s hand. “Thanks,” she said quietly.

Charlotte sat down beside her, watching as Engfa resumed her sketching. “What are you drawing?” she asked, genuinely curious.

Engfa hesitated before turning the sketchpad slightly so Charlotte could see. The drawing was of the school courtyard, but it was infused with a dreamlike quality that made it look almost magical.

“Wow,” Charlotte breathed. “You’re really talented.”

Engfa’s lips curled into the faintest hint of a smile. “Thanks,” she said again, more softly this time.

They sat in silence for a while, the early morning sun casting long shadows across the grass. Charlotte stole glances at Engfa, noticing the way the light played on her features. There was a gentleness in her eyes that contrasted sharply with her usual aloofness.

“So, what made you start drawing?” Charlotte asked, breaking the silence.

Engfa shrugged. “It’s just something I’ve always done. It helps me... process things.”

Charlotte nodded, sensing there was more to Engfa’s story. “I get that. For me, it’s fashion and social media. It’s my way of expressing myself.”

Engfa looked at her, curiosity flickering in her eyes. “It must be nice, having so many people admire you.”

Charlotte laughed lightly. “It has its moments, but it can be exhausting too. Sometimes, I just want to be myself without all the expectations.”

Engfa nodded slowly, as if understanding for the first time. “I can see that.”

As the school day progressed, Charlotte found herself stealing more glances at Engfa. There was a new softness in her demeanor, a hint that maybe, just maybe, she was starting to let her guard down. In biology class, they worked together on a project, their hands occasionally brushing against each other’s as they shared supplies. Each touch sent a thrill through Charlotte, making her heart beat a little faster.

During lunch, Charlotte invited Engfa to sit with her and her friends. At first, Engfa seemed hesitant, but eventually, she agreed. Heidi and Marima were welcoming, and soon, the four of them were chatting and laughing. Charlotte noticed how Engfa’s eyes lit up when she talked about art and how her laughter was soft and melodious.

Later that afternoon, as they were packing up to leave, Charlotte turned to Engfa. “Hey, do you want to hang out after school? Maybe grab a coffee or something?”

Engfa hesitated, biting her lip. “I don’t know...”

“I promise it’ll be fun,” Charlotte said, smiling. “Just two friends hanging out.”

Engfa looked at her, and for a moment, Charlotte saw a flash of vulnerability in her eyes. “Okay,” she said finally. “Let’s do it.”

They met at a café near the school. Over cups of steaming coffee, they talked about everything and nothing. Charlotte learned that Engfa loved reading and had a cat named Coco. Engfa discovered that Charlotte had a younger brother who adored her and that she dreamed of starting her own fashion line one day.

As the evening wore on, Charlotte felt a growing connection with Engfa. There was an undeniable chemistry between them, a spark that hinted at something deeper. When they finally parted ways, Charlotte couldn’t help but feel hopeful about what the future might hold.

That night, as she lay in bed, Charlotte replayed the day’s events in her mind. She felt a flutter of excitement, knowing that this was just the beginning. She was determined to get to know Engfa better, to uncover the layers of the girl who had captured her heart. And maybe, just maybe, she’d find that the feeling was mutual.