Chapter 16

Sparrus shook his head, his armor gleaming in the morning light. His sword was unsheathed, an iron harbinger of war. He put on his helmet and tipped the visor. The sun rose in front of him, almost as if it was wishing him luck.

For the first time in twenty years of combat, he was afraid.

"Traston!" he called into the Mayoral office's doorway. "Get out here!"

He heard the town Marshal hurried down the steps to the bottom floor. He signaled to the group of soldiers he had massed. The town only had about two hundred in all, but it would have to do. They were assembled in formation by rank and company, each with mismatched and makeshift sets of armor and weaponry. Their archers were usually huntsmen, their swordsmen smiths and loggers. Their officers had scant experience.

This would not end well.

Finally, Traston Sheary barged out the door, looking confused.

"What are they all out here for?" he asked Sparrus.

"Come," he said simply. He turned to his cobbled-together army. "Soldiers of Mea-Trathas! Forward, march!"

The group walked forward, towards the city gate.

"Sparrus, what is happening?" Asked the Marshal, his hat rustling in the wind.

"They're near the city walls. We need to-"

An explosion cut off Sparrus' sentence. The soldiers looked around and shouted.

"Steady on!" called Sparrus, lowering his hands. He looked around, clenching his blade. After a moment, he sighed.

"It was outside the city bounds," he said. "A warning shot."

Traston smacked Sparrus on the shoulder, bringing the knight out of his vigilant state.

"If you don't mind, tell me what's going on!" the Marshal demanded.

"An enemy force," said the knight, quickening his pace. "If we can get the archers on the walls, we can hold them off for a while." He exhaled heavily. "I've trusted some with getting the women and the children to safety. With luck, they can make for Crown Peak."

Traston raised his brows. "How many are there?" He asked.

As the formation drew closer to the city bounds, the soldiers fell out and brandished their weapons. Sparrus ushered some men onto the city wall. "Get up there and you'll see."

Traston followed them, Sparrus at his heels. Soon, he reached the top. Then, just like Sparrus, he, too, was afraid.

Thalleous strode forward, taking every step slowly and with purpose. The guards stepped aside and bowed.

"Hail, Champion of the Ardoni!" They yelled, presenting their swords before him in ritual respect. The Champion nodded to the two soldiers.

"On your feet, men," he said, smiling. "There shall be more of my host yet through these doors."

They looked over at this. Thalleous turned to face the various monarchs and dignitaries, all standing.

"Hail, Monarch of the Heat Throne!" He boomed, raising his sword and holding out his Prime. "Hail, king of Cydonia."

Footsteps could be heard now, just outside the door, along with a faint rustling in the wind.

Hail, king of Felden. Hail, king of the South, the Cydonian monarch. Hail, king of Conchord. Hail, king of Hydraphel, Gods be with you and your people."