chapter: 6

Willowdon. Known as the town of Sweet delights, was ready to welcome Halloween.

It's been a whole week since the saga and the delights couldn't be sweeter. Ashley, Bexie's sister slowly opened The Crimson Ginger for business and Zoey, Danny's mom found a job there as a financial advisor and waitress for extra cash.

Bexie continued pissing off the "good people" of Willowdon by roller skating into every one, Danny was once again in mourning for the lose of his friend Robert( his third pet spider) who was murdered by Cherry, obviously and Kale... Kale was trying his best not lose his mind because of his parents.

Kale was an only child born to highschool sweethearts that could love each other to oblivion. Bexie would say," Kale your parents are the best ,you're so lucky. " Danny would say," must be nice being an only child. "

It was nice until it wasn't. No! his life was perfect.

So what if his dad, didn't allow processed sugar? Or his mom, didn't consider anything he ever suggested? So what if he didn't have any siblings to keep him company ?So what _ if his parents controlled him? Force things on him as if he didn't have a mind of his own. So what?

He was ...kinda content. Even though there were so many rules, so many restrictions. He wasn't allowed to go anywhere except school and Danny's houses, certainly not The Crimson Ginger anymore. He had a strict curfew and bedtime. He couldn't have anything sugary and any animal products what's so ever.

His parents themselves followed these very rules, which led them to being a happy, organized, creepy, blonde family that looked like they could burst into a Disney musical at any time.

They had always spent Halloween night together, eating cupcakes and watching comedy shows in their pajamas. This would be Kale's first Halloween outside the house with all the other kids, his first Halloween in costume. He was so excited.

He was going to the party dressed in a Harry Potter costume, which was only a Hogwarts uniform and a plastic wand. His glasses were a perfect match. It was going to be the best night of his life, all he had to do was ask for _ Permission.

"Hey mom," he said sheepishly, as if approaching an all powerful goddess.

"Yes honey," she responds with a beaming sunshine smile as she mixed a bunch of ingredients. She was making cupcakes.

How do you make pastries without milk, or eggs or most importantly _sugar?

"I was wondering, if I could...," he takes a deep breath and whispered the rest of the sentence," ...go to Sophie's Halloween party?"

"Oh, honey, you already know the answer to that," she said with a calming smile, "absolutely not," she proclaims and goes back to her baking like she hadn't just crushed Kale with her words.

Kale never opposed his mother's wishes. He had learnt that blind devotion to his mom was the only way to avoid trouble but...no...not this time.

"Why can't I go?" He asks frankly.

"Because...it's a party. Parties are often, reckless, irresponsible and a breeding ground for _ immorality."

"But not this one," Kale objects.

"What makes this one different? Will there even be an adult present?"

"Not one but two, both of Sofie's Dads, the sheriff and the school counselor. Infact ,they themselves organized the part. To deny their invitation would be considered_ homophobic," Kale said with a confidence that scared even him.

"But am not_ homophobic," Kale's mom said defensively.

"Then allow me to go,"

"But we always stay at home watching TV on Halloween, all of us as a family?"

"Please mom,"

Her eyes swelled with sympathy but most of all, terror. The idea of her little boy out there in the world, sent shivers down her spine. It shouldn't have shocked Kale when she said...

"The answer is still no," but it did.

Why was she doing this? It made absolutely no sense. Why wasn't he allowed to partake in delinquent behaviors like any other kid.

"Why?" He asked, his head burning with anger.

"Why? Because I say so," Kale was enraged by how she thought that that was a reason enough. He wasn't ready to let this go.

"That's soo unfair, every one else gets to go," his eyes were now glittering with hot angry tears and it made her feel awful. Maybe she was  being a little harsh? No, she was being e good mother, she wanted to believe it. She had to, for her sanity sake.

"You're being ungrateful," she said.

"No! You're being cruel,"  he yelled at her, his tears finally falling. His words pierced her and suddenly she was terrified. She was losing him.

She spots the Harry Potter costume lying on a chair, ready for the Halloween party that night. She had to act. It was now or never.

She zooms and grabs the costume before Kale could comprehend what was happening.

"Mom, what are you doing?" he asked fearfully as he rushed behind her.

"You've not been your self lately," she said angry as she walked to into the kitchen," you've changed."

Kale understood what she was talking about, and he understood why.

"Because of this?" She asked, waving the costume ,she didn't really care for the answer, even though it was a really good one.

"No....no it's not," Kale tried to reason with her, the anger coming to a desperate stop.

"You're struggling in school, talking back to your own mother,"

"I'll do better, I promise," he cried out.

"All because of these _ distractions," she spat the words out like a curse as she held both ends of the wand and broke it in two.

"Mom ...no," Kale's heart was bleeding, another set of tears flowed effortlessly down his cheeks. She then flicked a lighter on.

"Please,mom..." he begged his nose raining along with the tears,  as she tried to stop her from doing the unthinkable," I'll do better, please... I'll do better, I'll do better," he repeated the words over and over like an incantation that would miraculously stop her.

"Sorry honey, you've left me with no choice," and just like that the costume along with his hopes and dreams went in flames before his very eyes.

Kale went into shock. Well not really, but something like that. He just stayed still, knelling on the floor. His eyes red and worn out, his head pounding furiously, his senses num.

His mom took his hand and took him to his room. She took him to bed and tucked him in. He could hear other kids cheering with laughter in their costumes as the sun set through his window and she shut the curtains.

She gently brushed his blonde hair with her hands and kissed his forehead with maternal tenderness, "it's for the best," she whispered.

She turned off the lights and locked the door and left with the key ,leaving Kale alone in the dark.

However, a fire of his own was growing inside him. This was far from over. He rolled out of his bed, wore his round glasses and with a red pen, he drew a little lightening bolt just above his eyebrows. It wasn't a Hogwarts uniform, but it was as close to a Harry Potter costume as he could get. It would have to do.

His mother had done the unthinkable and so would he. Through the window, he disappeared into the night heading straight to Sophie's party.

A/N. Kale is Soo done getting pushed around, and he only gets bolder from here.

Will June still feel the same after Kale slowly changes into someone else?

Speaking of June and Kale, will they see each other at the party?🤭