chapter 20

They were not alone. Someone was in the house.

"Sh, stay close and very very quiet," Ashley whispered ever so softly. They were gonna sneak out of the house. Once they were out into the streets they could run.

This wasn't a regular break in. Not some dum bastard looking for a vulnerable house to loot. No, it was too quiet, they were targeted. The bastard was after the kids.

Bexie and her friends had gotten themselves into some ridiculous trouble in the past, but this one surely takes the cake. The worst part is, they know this and their frightened breathing made it harder to keep silent.

Ashley wanted to tell them to steady their breaths, but they were already out of Bexie's room. It was dark but they were now in the open.

Ashley knew the house well enough to walk blind folded. They used that to their advantage, but hoped they wouldn't bump into the guy who was after them.

Holding hands, they walked quietly as possible down the stairs. Their was no other sounds. The guy wasn't making any movements. He might have been waiting for them just by the door, knowing that's exactly where they'll be.

What if the guy wanted them dead. Maybe it was just a scare. A message to tell them to stop digging. If every detective movie is to be considered, they must have been doing something right.

Ashley is leading the way and she knows the door is only inches away. But the intruder could had be right there, holding an ax or a knife or whatever.

For the kids she braced herself and stretched out her arm going for the door knob. She found herself thanking any god that was listening for every tiny inch she stretched out and her hand wasn't chopped off.

She was close, she could feel it. They were gonna make it. Then she had it in her palm. The door knob. Ashley let out the breath she was holding, but then without warning...

The lights went on.

"Ash? Bexie? What's going on?" Lucy. It was Lucy. Ashley and Bexie's mom looking at them with confusion after switching on the lights.

Bexie couldn't believe her eyes. Her mom. She thought maybe it wasn't her so she focused her eyes, still adjusting to the sudden light. She had her deep black hair just like the one Ashley had, rich walnut complexion with few freckles spreading below her eyes. Her brown eyes. It was her. She looked new. Like some sort of angel.

"Mom," Bexie cried out with joyful tears and rushed to Lucy with her arms open wide. She hugged her. Feeling her mom's solid body as if confirming that she's real and tangible.

"What's this?" Lucy asked laughing, confused but hugging her daughter back.

"It's really you," Bexie said, still holding on with zero intentions of letting go.

"Well yeah, who else did you think I'd be?"

"A murderer," she answers.

"A what..." Lucy pulls back to give Bexie a confused but happy look. She then looks at Ashley by the door. Her eyes were wide and glassy with shocked tears. Her lips parted as if to say something but had lost the ability to speak. Her mother's look shifted to questioning," what's going on?"

"You were gone," Bexie answers quickly.

"I went to get some groceries. I didn't die," Lucy said and everyone stared at her holding their breaths. She darts her gaze to each and everyone demanding someone to tell her what the hell was going on. She swallowed. "am getting worried where's your dad?" She asked.

"You don't remember?" Ashley asked as she stepped closer.

"Remember what? Honey, what is going on. What aren't you telling me?"