Chapter 14

I looked out through my window. Dark clouds covered the sky, casting a somber mood over the landscape. The trees swayed violently in the strong wind, their branches bending and thrashing as the storm grew more intense. Raindrops pelted the window, creating a rhythmic melody that filled the room.

I sighed contentedly. This type of weather always brought me peace.

The sound of a car engine pulling into the driveway broke my reverie, signaling that Victor and Ethan were back. I watched as the headlights cut through the gloom, illuminating the driveway before the car came to a stop.

I left my room and descended the stairs.

Victor sneezed loudly as he stepped inside, followed by a harsh cough that seemed to rattle his chest. He stumbled over to the sofa and collapsed onto it, his face pale and exhausted.

"What did the doctor say?" I asked, concern evident in my voice as I sat beside him and gently placed my hand on his forehead to check his temperature.

"Nothing serious," he replied, his voice hoarse and strained, sounding nothing like his usual self.

"The tests are yet to come," Ethan interjected. "The doctor told him to come back in three days. In the meantime, he needs to take his medicines." He held out his hand and I took the medicines from him.

"Make sure you take these regularly, Victor," I said softly, my concern deepening as I looked at my brother, who seemed so vulnerable in this moment.

Victor nodded weakly, a small, appreciative smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "I will. Thanks, Eva."

Ethan sat down on the couch opposite us, running a hand through his damp hair. "This weather is relentless. I nearly got soaked just getting out of the car."

I glanced out the window again, watching the rain continue to pour down. "At least you're home now."

Soon, Alex and Dad came downstairs. "How's your health, son?" Dad asked, settling into the armchair across from Victor.

"Better," Victor replied, though his voice was weak. "Just a sore throat and a runny nose." He sneezed once more, his body shuddering with the effort.

Alex approached him, concern etched on his face. Just like I had done, he placed his hand on Victor's forehead to check his temperature. "You're still running a bit of a fever," he observed.

"Why don't you go to your room and take some rest?" Alex suggested.

Victor shook his head slowly. "I was thinking of resting here until dinner," he admitted, his voice heavy with fatigue. "I don't have the energy to go upstairs and then come back down again for dinner."

"Let's send your food up to your room. You need rest. And go change your clothes; they seem damp," Alex suggested, his tone gentle but firm.

Victor sighed heavily, fatigue evident in every movement as he slowly rose from the sofa and made his way upstairs.

After some time, to our surprise, Victor returned, looking slightly more refreshed in his fresh clothes.

"You said you didn't have the energy," Ethan remarked, a hint of suspicion in his voice as he narrowed his eyes at Victor.

Victor flashed a mischievous grin, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "I found out I do," he replied, casually sitting beside me and throwing his arm around my shoulders.

Before he could lean in closer, I stood up causing a flash of hurt to cross his eyes.

Without a word, I left the living room and headed to the closet to fetch a blanket.