Chapter 17

After the final bell rang, we all headed outside. I was looking for Ethan, but my eyes lit up when I spotted a different person this time.

After saying goodbye to my friends, I ran towards him.

"Nathaniel!"

As soon as he saw me, he straightened his posture and gave me a small smile. "Hey, Eva. How was school?"

"It was good! I missed you, though," I said, catching my breath. "How have you been?"

Nathaniel's smile wavered slightly. "I've been... managing. It's been tough to handle everything, especially the funeral."

My heart ached for him. I remembered he didn't have anyone else, no extended family to help share the burden. "I'm so sorry, Nathaniel. If there's anything I can do..."

He shook his head, his smile returning. "No, it's okay. I'm here for you. That's what matters."

I reached out and squeezed his arm. "I'm glad you're back. Things haven't been the same without you."

He looked at me, "Thanks, Eva. That means a lot. Now, how about we grab some ice cream on the way home? My treat."

My eyes lit up at the suggestion. "Yes! That sounds perfect."

As we walked towards the car, I couldn't help but feel grateful for Nathaniel's presence in my life. Even in his own grief, he still found a way to be there for me, and that meant the world.

After having our ice cream, we headed home. As we arrived, I got out of the car and waited for Nathaniel to do the same. He looked at me with confusion.

"Anything wrong?" he asked, tilting his head slightly.

I shook my head. "Can you wait for a minute? I'll be right back," I said before running into the house.

I dashed up to my room, rummaging through my drawer until I found the box I had carefully hidden. I grabbed it and hurried back outside where Nathaniel was patiently waiting.

He raised an eyebrow as I approached. "What's this?"

"Happy belated birthday," I said, holding out the box to him. "I know your birthday was two days ago, but since you were absent, I couldn't wish you in person. Texting didn't feel right because I knew you were already stressed."

Nathaniel's eyes softened as he took the box from my hands. "Eva, you didn't have to..."

"You say that every year, but it never stops me," I interrupted with a smile. "Open it, please."

He smiled and carefully opened the box, revealing a sleek silver watch. His eyes widened in surprise. "This is beautiful," he said, taking the watch out and examining it closely.

I bought it when I went to the mall with Ethan and Victor last time. When Ethan took it out of the bag in the car, I was so worried my surprise would be ruined.

Nathaniel chuckled, a genuine smile spreading across his face. "You didn't have to go through all this trouble, but I really appreciate it. Thank you, Eva."

"You're welcome," I said, feeling a warm glow inside. "You deserve it."

Nathaniel fastened the watch around his wrist, admiring it. "It fits perfectly. This means a lot to me, especially now."

"I'm glad you like it," I said, relieved and happy to see him smiling.

Without thinking, I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. Nathaniel stiffened in surprise for a moment before relaxing and hugging me back.