Chapter 21

A S H E R

My day had started off on a high note.

Waking up to the realization that it was Friday and the weekend was imminent was a small victory.

I nestled into my seat by the window in mathematics class, immersing myself in trigonometry problems—my solitary sanctuary in this school.

Mathematics is the only subject where I feel truly at ease, and Mr. Kensington is the sole teacher I genuinely respect. Despite my struggles in other subjects, he recognizes and nurtures my potential in math.

I thought today would unfold seamlessly, but once again, the universe seemed intent on proving me wrong.

“Hey!” The boy behind me whispered, his voice just above a murmur.

I pretended not to hear him, focusing intently on my work.

“Hey, I’m talking to you,” he persisted, his tone growing more insistent.

I didn’t want to engage with him.

“Are you deaf?” he hissed loudly, punctuating his words with a series of jabs to my chair.

If Mr. Kensington weren’t present, I might have punched him in the face.

“What—” Before he could finish, I turned around and fixed him with a piercing stare. “What do you want?”

“I’ve already told you,” he replied, attempting to regain his composure, though my glare clearly unnerved him.

“And I’ve already told you I don't wanna do it,” I retorted sharply.

“All I need you to do is pass this note to that girl,” he said, nodding towards the girl seated in front of me. “She’s your friend, isn’t she?”

“Why don’t you just use a carrier pigeon while you’re at it?” I snapped, my frustration evident. "Stop bothering me."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Do you like her?"

"No," I replied, turning back to my work. "She’s just a friend."

“If she’s just a friend, then why not pass the note?” he said, placing the folded paper on my desk, over my shoulder.

I was about to snap back when Mr. Kensington’s voice cut through the murmurs of the classroom. “Asher! Please focus on the board.”

I grumbled under my breath and stared at the note, weighing my options. I knew she would probably reject this guy outright anyway. But, given the pressure and the promise of some peace if I complied, I figured I might as well deliver it.

“Eva,” I called softly.

She turned around, her expression curious. I hesitated for a moment, then extended the note towards her.

Before she could take it, Mr. Kensington was beside me, his hand reaching out to snatch the note from my grasp. He unfolded it and began reading aloud, his brows knitting together in confusion and then anger.

“Dear Eva,” Mr. Kensington read, his voice growing louder with each word. “I’ve seen you around and I think you're cute. Honestly, Mr. Kensington's the worst. I'm sure you agree with me on that. His teaching style is as thrilling as watching grass grow. So, let's ignore Mr. Kensington's grumpy demeanor and hang out sometime. I would love to get to know you!"

The classroom erupted in murmurs and giggles as Mr. Kensington’s face flushed red with indignation.

“I don’t tolerate disrespect in my classroom!” he bellowed. “Asher and Eva, both of you will have detention after school.”