Chapter 20

Catherine and I stood amidst a sea of wedding gowns, each one more stunning than the last. The sheer number of choices was overwhelming, and I could see the uncertainty in her eyes as she rifled through the racks.

“I don’t know, Eva,” Catherine sighed, holding up a mermaid-style dress. “I just don’t think this is me.”

I nodded, understanding her hesitation. “What about a ball gown?”

Catherine’s eyes lit up at the suggestion. “Yes! A ball gown sounds perfect. I want something elegant and classic.”

We moved to another section where the ball gowns were displayed. The dresses were breathtaking, with layers of tulle and satin, each one more regal than the last. Catherine picked up a few options and disappeared into the fitting room.

Moments later, she emerged in an off-shoulder ball gown that took my breath away. The dress fit her like a glove, the bodice adorned with delicate lace, flowing down into a voluminous skirt.

“Wow, Catherine,” I said, my voice filled with awe. “You look absolutely stunning.”

Catherine gazed at herself in the mirror, a smile spreading across her face. “I love it, Eva. But I’m still not sure about the veil. There are so many options – long, short, lace, plain…”

I pondered for a moment. “How about we try a few different styles? Maybe seeing them with the dress will help you decide.”

The consultant brought over a variety of veils, and Catherine tried them on one by one. The first was a short, simple veil that barely touched her shoulders. It was pretty, but it didn’t have the drama Catherine was looking for.

Next, she tried a long cathedral veil with intricate lace details. It was beautiful, but it seemed to overwhelm the dress.

Finally, she tried on a mid-length veil with delicate beadwork that matched the lace on her dress. It framed her face perfectly and added just the right touch of elegance without overshadowing the gown.

“This one,” Catherine said, her eyes shining. “This is the one.”

I smiled, feeling a sense of relief and joy. “You look perfect, Catherine. This is exactly how I pictured you on your wedding day.”

Catherine turned to me, eyes shining with happiness. “Thank you, Eva. I couldn’t have done this without you.”

We made our way to the counter, finalizing the purchase. With Catherine's dream dress secured, we indulged in some more shopping, picking up a few accessories and items for the wedding.

Afterward, we took a break at a cozy café, enjoying warm cups of coffee and delicious pastries while chatting excitedly about the upcoming wedding.

As the afternoon turned into evening, we decided it was time to head home. Catherine drove me back, the car filled with the soft hum of the radio and our happy chatter. When we pulled up to my house, I stepped out of the car, waving as she drove away. Feeling a mix of exhaustion and satisfaction, I made my way up the steps and into the house.

As I stepped through the front door, I was immediately greeted by Aiden, who came running over.

"Let me take those," he said, grabbing the shopping bags from my hands and placing them on the table. "You look exhausted. Sit down, Eva."

I sank gratefully onto the sofa, sighing in relief. "Thanks, Aiden. It was a long day." He sat down next to me.

"Ethan, bring Eva a glass of water!" Aiden demanded as soon as Ethan entered the living room.

"What? Why me?" Ethan whined. "I'm not her serv—"

One glare from Aiden, and Ethan went to the kitchen, clicking his tongue in annoyance, to bring me a glass of water.