Chapter 15

I was in the kitchen, carefully icing the cupcakes I'd baked earlier. The house was unusually quiet, save for the distant hum of the washing machine. It was a peaceful moment, one I cherished.

Suddenly, the sound of the front door opening and lively chatter filled the air.

“Eva! Come quick!” Victor’s voice rang out, filled with excitement.

I wiped my hands on a towel and hurried out of the kitchen. As I rounded the corner, I saw a familiar figure standing in the foyer. My heart leaped with joy.

“Catherine!” I exclaimed, rushing forward to greet her.

Catherine, my cousin, was someone I’d always been close to. She smiled warmly as she saw me, her eyes sparkling with happiness.

“Eva!” she said, opening her arms for a hug. We embraced tightly, and I felt a surge of warmth and affection.

“It’s so good to see you!” I said, stepping back but still holding onto her hands. “What brings you here?”

Catherine’s parents, Uncle Robert and Aunt Linda, were standing nearby, smiling at the reunion. Victor and Ethan were there too, helping with the bags.

“We have some exciting news,” Aunt Linda said, her eyes twinkling.

Catherine grinned and slowly raised her left hand. At first, I didn't understand, but then my eyes widened in shock and delight as I saw the diamond ring on her finger.

“Oh my God! Catherine, is this what I think it is?” I exclaimed, grabbing her hand to get a closer look.

Catherine nodded, her smile widening. “Yes, Eva. I’m getting married!”

I screamed with joy, pulling her into another tight hug. “That’s incredible! Congratulations!”

We all moved to the living room, where Victor and Ethan quickly grabbed snacks and drinks. The room buzzed with excitement as we settled down to hear all about Catherine's news.

“So, tell us everything!” I demanded, barely able to contain my excitement.

Catherine laughed. “Well, his name is James, and he’s an amazing guy. We met at the hospital—he's also a doctor there. Things just clicked between us.”

“That’s wonderful! Tell me more about him,” I urged, my curiosity bubbling over.

“He’s kind, smart, and incredibly dedicated to his work. He proposed to me last week, and I just couldn’t wait to share the news with you all,” she said, her eyes shining with happiness.

As we listened to Catherine talk about her fiancé and their plans, I felt a warm sense of happiness. Catherine had always been like a sister to me, and seeing her so happy made my heart swell with joy.

As we chatted, Dad and Alex entered the living room. Uncle Robert and Dad exchanged polite nods, but I could sense the tension between them. Their relationship had always been strained for reasons I was never quite sure of.

Catherine turned to Alex with a playful grin. "Alex, you’re looking handsome as always. Still driving the ladies crazy?”

Alex chuckled, shaking his head. “You know me, Catherine. Always too busy with work.”

“Yeah, sure. Work,” Catherine teased, making everyone laugh.

Uncle Robert and Dad stood off to the side, sharing an awkward silence before Robert finally spoke up. “Edward, it’s been a while.”

“Yes, it has,” Dad replied, his tone guarded. “How have things been with you, Robert?”

“Busy, as always. But Catherine’s news has been a bright spot,” Uncle Robert said, glancing over at his daughter with a proud smile.