Chapter 22

The day had been long and exhausting, and I was more than ready to crawl into bed. I went through my nightly routine, brushing my teeth and washing my face, then slipped into my favorite pajamas. The comfort of my room wrapped around me as I climbed under the covers, my mind already drifting toward sleep.

Just as I was about to close my eyes, the room was suddenly plunged into darkness. The soft hum of electricity vanished, leaving an eerie silence in its wake.

My breath caught in my throat, and my heart began to pound erratically. I could feel my pulse hammering in my ears, each beat like a frantic plea for escape.

I fumbled for my phone, desperate for any source of light, but my hands were trembling so violently that I dropped it. The dull thud of it hitting the floor seemed to reverberate through the silent room, mocking me.

My chest tightened, and I gasped for air, each breath coming faster and shallower. Sweat slicked my palms as I groped blindly for the edge of the bed, something to hold on to, something to ground me.

In my panic, I knocked over the glass lamp on my nightstand, and the sound of breaking glass echoed throughout the dark room, sending my fear skyrocketing.

Images of unseen threats flashed through my mind, each more terrifying than the last. I could almost feel the shadows creeping closer, wrapping around me, suffocating me.

A whimper escaped my lips as I collapsed to the floor, clutching my chest.

"Please, no," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the sound of my own rapid breathing. Tears welled up in my eyes, spilling over and trailing down my cheeks. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to will the fear away, but it only intensified, gripping me with an ironclad hold.

Suddenly, I heard rushed footsteps, and the door creaked open. A beam of light cut through the darkness, and I felt someone kneel beside me.

The next thing I knew, I was being held against a warm chest, a steady hand rubbing soothing circles on my back.

"Eva, calm down. I’m here. It’s okay. I’m here," a familiar voice murmured. I clung to the sound, focusing on it with every ounce of strength I had left.

The light flickered back on, bathing the room in a soft, comforting glow. I slowly opened my eyes and looked up. My eyes widened in surprise when I saw the person holding me.

Ethan.

Ethan’s concerned face was hovering above me. He was holding me tightly, his phone’s flashlight still casting a faint light around us.

“Ethan,” I breathed, relief washing over me.

“Yeah, it’s me. You’re okay now,” he said gently, his eyes filled with worry.

I buried my face in his chest, feeling the remnants of fear ebb away.

Not long after, I heard more footsteps rushing toward my room. Alex, Victor, Aiden, and Austin burst in, their faces etched with concern.

Ethan let go of me and awkwardly stepped aside.

"Is everything okay? I heard something break," Victor asked, his eyes immediately going to the shattered glass on the floor. "Are you hurt, Rosey?" He hurried over to me, his worry palpable.

I shook my head, sitting on the bed, still trying to steady my breathing. "I'm okay."

Aiden quickly sat beside me, handing me a water bottle. "Here, drink this," he urged gently.

"She had a panic attack," Ethan explained, his voice low but clear.

"A panic attack?" Aiden echoed, his shock evident. "Why?"