31. Journey of no return

A/N

This is for those who left comments on my recent chapters! Thanks! 

Also, who's your favorite and hated character, and WHY? :)

Dhakirah made it a task to gather the boys together in the morning, all boys gathered on the lawn, some with sleepy faces, others in alert. Dhakirah took a position in their midst before starting. He stood tall and strong, his oak-colored skin glistening under the sun.

"We have a problem," he began, his voice carrying across the lawn. "The signal will shut down in 48 hours, and the wolverines will stride in here, killing us all." Gasps rippled through the small crowd as Dhakirah's words sank in. "Avgustin is gone, and we don't know when he will be back. With no other option left, we have to activate it ourselves."

Vincent raised a hand, his voice tinged with fear. "Why must we all go? Can't you and Rafael do it?"

Dhakirah met his gaze calmly. "What if we don't succeed before the set time? The shelter would be attacked, and everyone killed. We need more than two of us to carry out the plan perfectly."

"What about Noah?" Browne asked sheepishly.

A branch snapped nearby, and Noah strode in, looking stronger than they had seen him before, a stark contrast to when he had collapsed like a tortured building. Now he walked on his own, and he didn't look like he would die at any moment.

Evan looked away, grappling with emotions he never thought he would feel.

"I'm coming," Noah declared, tossing a bag to Dhakirah, who caught it. Then, he kept his distance.

"Who is in?" Dhakirah asked.

"I'm in," Rafael said in a monotone with a blank expression.

"Me too," Ethan chimed in.

"I guess I don't have a choice," Evan confirmed, staring at the horizon.

"I don't want to be left here alone," Vincent said, "so yeah."

All eyes turned to Browne. "I'll stay," he said, causing his friends to gasp.

Rafael frowned. "No, you won't," he stated firmly, "I decide for you, potty bag." He grabbed Browne's biceps, the youngster frowning in return and muttering, "You're not my mum."

"Okay, go prepare your stuff. We'll be leaving soon," Dhakirah dismissed the crowd, heading off to find Noah on the opposite side.

"Hey, are you doing okay? If you feel ill or something, let me know. You still look pale," Dhakirah said, earning a low groan from Noah, who tried to smile but couldn't quite manage it. He looked in the bag Noah brought and was pleased to see some medical materials and some fruits.

"Thanks," Dhakirah simply said, not wanting to embarrass Noah. Noah nodded again, trying to smile, but it just wouldn't click, so he let go with a frown.

Dhakirah turned around, heading off. There, Noah questioned himself. After his escape, he might never see the brown-skinned boy again. In his dark time, Dhakirah had shown him kindness, caring for him like a sibling and shielding him from harm, even when he was not always successful. If he died, the same, or worse, he'd never see his mother ever again. Noah cringed in hurt, but he needed to try. He had to.

The boys gathered up again ready to start their journey in the woods knowing they might never return but Dhakirah assured them. Leaving the shelter was not easy for them but they hoped to all return except Noah who kept his play a secret from them. Once the signal activated he would be willing to tell them the full story and he didn't care who stayed back, above all he wished Dhakirah would successfully cross the cave, he couldn't bear to leave him behind.