37. Back home

Noah stood before a mirror, running a brush through his hair for the first time in months. It felt odd, but he persisted, revealing his pale skin and the small scar under his eye socket. It gave him a hardened look, reminiscent of a seasoned mafia veteran. Dressed in a black hoodie with a white undershirt and gray jeans, Noah tried to assess his demeanor. The reflection staring back at him was a stark contrast to the carefree Noah of a year ago. His once vibrant eyes now seemed dulled, as if they had aged beyond his years. It was as though he had been transported through a time portal, emerging a decade older. He appeared too serious, too distant from his former self. Noah dropped the brush, taking a deep breath as he struggled to muster a smile, finding it harder than enduring the physical trials of DREAD.

Lifting his shirt, Noah revealed the scars scattered across his body, some still fresh. He closed his eyes and ran his hand over them, accepting their presence as a part of him.

Stepping away from the mirror, he spotted his uncle, Julius, Cordelia's only younger brother. Julius was a well-known writer, owning numerous books and publications. Noah carried the bag Julius had brought during his hospital stay. As Lucy bid them farewell and handed a psychologist contact to Julius Noah accepted the bag from the receptionist, momentarily freezing under Julius's concerned gaze.

"Are you alright?" Julius asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Noah wanted to scream, to demand that they burn the bag and erase the memories it held. But he knew he had to maintain composure, to convince those around him that he was fine. "Yeah," he replied, taking the bag.

"I can't wait to see Mum," Noah said, attempting to lighten the mood.

Julius chuckled, "She'll give us an earful for not telling her sooner."

"She doesn't need to know I waited six days to call. Let's spare her that part," Noah said with a faint smile.

As they made their way to the car, Julius broke the silence. "Noah, you've changed a lot. You used to be more... direct, in a blunt way. But now, after coming back from that camp, you're different." He stated.

Noah paused midway from buckling the seat belt. "I guess, I'm just a year older," Noah replied trying to muster a joke but failed miserably, with a hint of melancholy attaching to his voice instead.

"I'm grateful for the change," Julius confessed, the car enveloped in a comfortable silence as his words sank in.

"Are you hungry?" Julius asked, glancing at Noah.

"Not at all, thanks," Noah replied politely, thankful for Julius's understanding Julius smiled at him again.

The drive home felt long, yet Noah didn't once complain about not having his phone. Julius was pleasantly surprised by the change in Noah's attitude. As they pulled up in front of the grand estate, Noah's heart skipped a beat. Is this home? The sprawling mansion seemed too vast for him to believe he was the sole heir, following his father's passing. Allowing his uncle to navigate the driveway, past the beautiful gate, Noah marveled at the sight of his home, never truly appreciating its beauty before. Cars lined the driveway, most of which he recognized as his own.

"Come on, son," Julius said, draping an arm around Noah's shoulder as they entered the house. Noah's eyes wandered in awe, taking in the opulence of the estate. Expensive chandeliers adorned the ceilings, while the ground floor seemed to stretch endlessly, with grand staircases leading in both directions to the second floor.

"Right. I'll see to it," a familiar feminine voice echoed, drawing Noah's attention. His ears perked up, his heart swelling with indiscernible emotion.

"Come on, Lia! You'll get some fresh air," another feminine voice urged from above the stairs.