42. Graduation disaster

"Sir, the car's ready," Mark announced from the doorway.

Noah spun around, adjusting the comb in his hair. "I hope it looks okay," he said, feeling a bit nervous about his styling skills.

"If you'll let me help, I can fix you a slick pullback," Mark offered politely.

Noah wanted to breathe out a sigh of relief. "That would be great. Thanks. I'll definitely give my hair a trim when I get the chance," he muttered under his breath.

Mark approached, reaching for the comb, he guided Noah in front of the mirror. He skillfully styled Noah's hair, creating a neat look.

"Congratulations on the degree," Mark said, giving Noah a supportive nod.

"Thanks," Noah muttered as he stared at his reflection, his pale skin hidden under the fabric of his tux along with all the scars that he was addicted to staring at him. He wished the day would hurry up and end. He had wanted to skip the graduation, just earning the degree through email or mail and moving on. But his mother had wanted a graduation picture. She had forced him into attending the ceremony, no matter what it took. And seeing the state of their relationship, Noah didn't want further cracks.

"Finished," Mark announced, stepping back. Noah looked at his reflection, the scar standing out prominently., making him look like a dangerous criminal sentenced to life imprisonment for 14 murder cases, a cold-blooded thug, not like a high school graduate celebrating an achievement.

Noah turned around to face Mark "Thanks, I appreciate it." He simply said without a tinge of emotion. He felt the heavy weight crushing down on him day by day, the weight that he bore in silence, it made him dark and moody. At first, he felt happy, glad to have come out of hell and back home, but as the memories returned every day, he found himself forever trapped with the phantom of what he had survived.

The door swung open silently revealing Julius, when he set his eyes on Noah his face lit up, "Look at you!" he exclaimed, approaching with a giant smile before wrapping Noah in his arms. Noah forced a smile to match Julius's enthusiasm. How could he not?

"I'm very proud of you, boy! I bet your father is, too! And we both know that your mother is number one," he said, placing a hand on Noah's shoulder and squeezing gently. "I tell you, this is just the beginning, son. I knew you had the potential; you just needed to tap into your worth. I'm so proud." Julius pulled Noah into yet another hug.

"Thanks, Uncle," Noah simply said, trying to broaden his smile to no avail.

A gentle tap on the door drew their attention. "Come in," Noah said, allowing the maid to step in.

"Mrs. Cordelia would like you to join her downstairs; she is ready," the sturdy blond girl said while bowing her head.

The little group strode into the hall. As they drew closer to the stairs, Noah couldn't help but feel guilty for letting the family down countless times. It took a huge fracture in his spirit to understand his duty as the only heir and son of the Merridew family. Basically, he is the only descendant of his father left. If he had died in a bike accident or from a drug overdose, then there would not have been any descendant from Jonathan Merridew.

Noah felt two warm hands brush his cheeks, snapping him out of his thoughts as he stared into his mother's gaze. "I'm very proud of you, dear. This is all I wanted, and you're giving me that joy. Thank you," she said, pecking him on the forehead. Noah wanted to fake a smile, but it was hard this time. They all looked proud of him, but he could only feel a weight growing on his shoulders. What now?

As they rode in their luxurious limousine, Noah zoned out again, lost in his thoughts. Cordelia and Julius casually discussed their upcoming event. She told him about her late husband's company and how she had been keeping up with it, expressing her desire for Noah to take over as soon as he graduates. She wanted him to study business at the best university in the world. Noah had always said he wanted to be an actor or a rapper, but she had never really considered his suggestions. She and Jonathan, his late father, had decided he was going for business, but Noah didn't seem to fit that mold until—