°˖✧˚ ♡ʚ thirty-six ɞ♡˚✧˖°.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year

"It's the most wonderful time of the year. Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."

As Dr. Yoshida finally left the room, the atmosphere shifted, like a veil being lifted from the room. With a little cheer, the nurses started to say their goodbyes to each other, standing in a line to offer hugs and kisses on each cheek. You stood with them, but they treated you as if you were some nameless, worthless entity. Your presence seemed to bother them, and you felt the weight of their dirty stares.

Yet, you refused to let their animosity get to you. Tonight, everything would change. Tonight, it would all be over. And nothing anybody did, or said, could change that fact.

The sound of someone coughing behind you echoed, cutting through the tense silence like a hot knife through butter. You turned your gaze towards the source of the noise, finding yourself staring into the anxious eyes of an old coworker. She cleared her smiled, her voice trembling as she spoke.

"Um, hi Y/n." She blurted out, her tone oddly stilted, as though she wasn't sure how to address you. You could feel the weight of everyone's stares upon you, like a hundred invisible eyes peering at you from across the room. It was uncanny, almost unnerving.

"Oh, hi." You replied, trying to maintain a sense of normalcy in the face of this uncomfortable situation.

"I, um, I was wondering," she began, her words stumbling over her lips, "me and the girls, we're going for drinks tonight, and maybe you could come with us?"

You knew that you were not welcome among these people. But you couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt, knowing that this person was extending an olive branch in the form of friendship, even though you knew it would most likely be rejected.

"I'm sorry, but I have other plans for tonight. Thanks for the invite, though."

She smiled back at you, her expression soft and sympathetic. "I understand and you know it's hard to stay in peace with those nasty rumors going on. Don't listen to them," she spoke, a warmth radiating from her voice. "You were one of the sweetest people I ever met here, really, Y/n. And Sarah is such a bitch for dating your ex."

You chuckled softly, surprised at her straightforwardness. "I know, right?"

She hesitated for a moment before continuing. "She's so obsessed, I think she wants to date you. She mentions you almost every minute."

"Thank you, for your sweet words, they mean alot, really." You said, as you hugged her.

Her words filled you with a sense of surprise, but also warmth. You felt like you could actually trust this person, and her kindness made your mood boost up for some reason. As she waved goodbye and kissed you on the cheek, you felt a sense of positivity wash over you, making you believe that, just maybe, things would be okay after all.