THE OUTSIDER

— S A N   F R A N C I S C O —

"It's been awhile since we hung out, just the two of us," Kory smiled next to Raven as they strolled through the mall.

Every sound boomed in the massive confines, but the clash of so many echoed voices made it easy to blend in. The mall trip was Kory's idea; they hadn't spent much time together since Raven returned. Raven felt awful about that, so she went along with everything Kory wanted to do. Clothes shopping, the infamously-paired mani-pedis—Raven didn't mind it too much, as long as it made Kory happy.

"You could've invited Donna if you wanted to. I don't mind," said Raven. She blew softly on her recently-polished nails.

"I know, but I miss when we used to hang out, doing our own thing. You're one of my closest friends," Kory looked up from the pastel pattern of light pinks and greens on her fingers and caught her gaze. Because of recent events, the familiar red hair and green eyes made Raven think of Poison Ivy. The two had completely separate personalities; the latter being much more hostile. But maybe it was those similarities that warmed Raven to Ivy so quickly.

"Same here," said Raven. "You're amazing, Kory. I missed having you around all the time."

"I'm so glad you're back," Kory hummed, clasping her arm tight. Their reflection strolled across display after display of merchandise. Every now and then Raven skimmed a store; she wanted to get something for Damian to thank him for the Flashpoint files. But she wasn't sure what to get him.

"But sometimes it feels like I have to share you with everyone nowadays." Kory continued, pouting as she looked forward.

"Oh?" Raven's eyebrow rose.

"For someone who claims to not like people, you're very popular these days," Kory teased. Her long scarlet tresses were decorated with braids, which swung back and forth in the small space between them.

"Me? Popular?" Raven remarked in disbelief.

"That Constantine man keeps swinging by, even when you're not home. He always asks about you. I get texts from Clark every now and then, checking in on you—I still can't believe how quick Conner warmed up to you. The way he looks at you...between him and Damian, I can't tell which is more intense."

As Raven processed the information dump, she wasn't sure how to respond. It was new, being this...interactive. She was used to avoiding people. Feeling their emotions all the time wore her down. They were still exhausting, and Raven sometimes missed the large amounts of alone time she used to flourish in. But...it was a nice change, she realized.

"Still, I'm not popular. There's nothing interesting or people-friendly here," Raven gestured at her reflection in one of the glass windows nearby, "just a walking horror movie waiting to happen."

"Sorry. The people have spoken: they love you." Kory spoke in an assured, chipper tone.

How coherent are these 'people' exactly...?

Raven changed the subject as they reached one of the escalators. "So, how are things with Dick?"

Kory sighed, a dreamy smile on her face. "Wonderful, as always. Dumb things pop out of his mouth sometimes, but he knows me so well—and he's great at communicating."

"He is very open," Raven said.

"And he has a cute butt," Kory added.

"That is an added bonus."

They laughed as the stairs trickled down to the ground floor. Soon they were out the large doors, and the bright lights were replaced with the cloak of night sprinkled with diamonds. Kory traced the constellations with her eyes as the pair continued down the sidewalk.