+Chapter Fifteen+

"Umber!" My mother smiled as she walked over to me. "It's been so long since you've been home! Tell me about what I missed. How's Gisela?"

I clenched my teeth. "She's fine."

My mom looked annoyed. "That liar doesn't deserve to be fine."

I sighed. "Whatever."

"Don't be like that Umber," My mom crossed her arms. "Now, how's your boyfriend? What was his name? Rugi? Ruby?"

"Ruy, Mom. And I broke up with him."

My mother gasped. "Why? He was so handsome!"

"He kept hanging out with other girls," I told her.

My mom's mouth dropped open. "You mean you broke up with him because of petty jealousy! That's unacceptable!"

"Can we have one conversation without you saying something's 'unacceptable'?"

My mom's face softened. "I'm sorry, Uma. Of course we can."

"Ugh, I thought you stopped using that nickname."

"Never!" Mom swore.

"Ugh."

+++

Of course Gisela would be the first person I saw when I walked into Foxfire at the start of the week. Who else would it be? And why did my heart beat like a bird when I noticed her? [A/N: Mr. Vampire (ITZY) reference]

I quickly averted my eyes and hoped she wouldn't notice me. Of course, she did.

"Umber! Where's Claude? He said he'd meet me here 30 minutes ago!"

I shrugged. "No idea."

Gisela's narrowed eyes told me that she wasn't convinced. "I highly doubt that. What did you do with him?"

"I didn't do anything! What is he, an object that I could hide?"

"Well, I'm checking your locker." Gisela spun away, whacking her hair in my face. I scoffed and watched her as she stormed off.

Then it hit me. "How do you know my combination?!" I yelled after her. She offered no response. I bolted after her.

When I arrived at the scene, I was shocked at what I saw. Was Gisela... Crying? Sure enough, she was looking into my locker and wiping her eyes. Maybe Dorky Trix was actually stuffed in there.

When I got closer, I realized that she was looking at the pictures in my locker. Maybe it was her own reflection that got her so upset. Her hair wasn't quite as perfect as usual. But why did she still look so good?

Annoyed with myself, I wiped that thought from my mind. I was not interested in Gislea. We were enemies!

"Gisela? Is everything okay?" Dame Alina strode up to her, passing a sideways glance at me. "Did Umber do this to you?"

Gisela shook her head through her tears. "N-no."

"Do you want to come to my office? I have a great supply of ripplefluffs in there." Alina offered.

Gislea— being ungrateful— shook her head again.

Dame Alina nodded slowly. "Will you tell me what's going on? I must find out who did this and punish them— I mean, make sure they don't hurt other Prodigies again."

"Can I please just be alone?" Gisela looked up at Dame Alina with tear-filled eyes.

"That's fine. I have other things to attend to, anyway." Dame Alina gracefully walked off.

The second she was gone, I ran up to Gisela. "What kind of sick plan are you up to know? I know those tears aren't real."

Then Gisela did the last thing I expected her to do: She burst into tears again.