+Chapter Thirteen+

Gisela knew about the revenge I was planning with Trix. Not only that, I was late to our meeting. It was a double-whammie.

I hurried out of bed and ran out the door to our meeting area. Claude was there, his hands in his pockets. He appeared to be talking to someone. I approached as quietly as I could, which wasn't all that quiet. Every clunk of my heels sounded earsplitting.

"I'm sorry, Gisela," Trix was saying, and I covered my mouth to muffle a yelp. Gisela and Trix were talking!

"Sorry doesn't cover it!" Gisela snapped. "Why did I have to figure out that my boyfriend is planning revenge on me through my ex-best friend?"

"Umber told you?" Trix's voice became steely cold.

"Oh, yes." Gisela's voice became chipper. "She betrayed you, just like she betrays everyone. It was just a matter of time."

Trix was speechless. "Excuse me. I need to speak with someone."

As soon as he was out of sight, I reached out and tapped Gisela on the shoulder. She started and turned around.

"Umber," she flashed a cold smile. "Did you overhear my conversation with Claude?"

I clenched my fists. "Why are you always in my business?"

Gisela ignored me. "I love your hairstyle today, by the way."

I reached up and felt my hair. Then I remembered that I didn't have time to brush it after my nap. My face flamed.

"I just came from my nap."

"It shows." Gisela smirked. "Smile for the camera!"

The next thing I knew, I was blinded by a flash.

"You took a picture of me?" I asked incredulously.

"Yep. Expect it to decorate the walls of the school tomorrow."

+++

"Hey, Umber. Nice photo." A guy winked as I walked past him that morning.

"Huh?" I asked. Then I knew. Gisela had printed my photo out already. She was fast.

Sure enough, I only had to walk a few feet into the school in order to see my new portrait. Stares followed me down the hallway. I was used to people looking at me, but not in that way.

I walked to the nearest one and ripped it down. One less poster up was a start.

"Don't rip down my hard work, Umber," said Gisela's voice in my ear. "I'd hate to waste paper."

"You already did," I grumbled.

"Now, now," Gisela chided. "Be nice."

"What will I need to do in order for you to take them down?" I asked, cutting to the chase.

"Stay away from Claude. He's mine, not yours."

"Trix is over you."

"No, he isn't. He just believes that because he's unsure of his own emotions." Gisela said, but it seemed more like she was trying to convince herself.

"If that's what you want to believe," I told her. "Now if you'd excuse me, I've got better things to do."