chapter four

EVERY MORNING, PERCY WAS KEPT AN EYE ON by the senior campers and counselors, trying to determine who his parent was. We noted down that he wasn't as strong as the Ares' kids, given that every time he would go against Clarisse on the mat, she would pulverize him. I had heard when Luke showed him the archery range, he almost took out Chris and some campers and then when Chiron tried to teach him, it didn't end well for the centaur but he didn't complain when he had to desnag a stray arrow out of his tail.

Foot racing? The wood nymphs left him in the dust each time but consoled him by saying they had centuries of running away from lovesick gods. We also heard that he had accidentally started a fire in Hephaestus' cabin when doing metalwork. Luke voiced his opinions, stating that he was a jack-of-all-trades, a Hermes child, but that was when only Percy was around.

Though I noted to myself that he was excellent at canoeing with the naids praising him.

**ELECTRIC TOUCH**

Finally, it was time for capture the flag.

When the plates cleared away, the conch horn sounded and we all stood from our spots. 

"Heroes, it is time." Chiron announced loudly, checking his pocket watch, "The game will begin soon!"

Campers yelled and cheered as Annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion, carrying a silk banner between us. It was about 10 feet long and glistening grey, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree. Clarisse and her two siblings ran in with another silk banner, that was gaudy red and painted with a bloody spear near a boar's head.

The teams were announced. The Zeus cabin, once again being myself, sided with Athena's cabin who made an alliance with the two biggest cabins, Hermes and Apollo. Athena had to trade a couple shower times while I traded a few chore spots in order to have their support. Ares' cabin had Dionysus at their side, with Demeter and Aphrodite and Hephaestus. 

Chiron spread his arms and the tables were now covered with equipment for us to use. Helmets, bronze swords and spears, and oxhide shields coated in metal.

My shield was still larger than, but no longer blocked my view as it had once when I was a child. It had a huge lightning bolt in the middle which had a glowing electric blue edges, shinning brightly. My helmet, like all the helmets on Athena's side had blue horsehair plume on top while the Ares team had red plumes. 

"Woah." Percy said. "We're really supposed to use these?"

I looked at him in disbelief, but then again, he was raised a normal household, "Unless you want to be killed, then yes."

Annabeth yelled, "Blue team, forward!" 

We cheered and shook our swords and followed her down the path to the south woods. The red team yelled taunts at as us they headed off to the north side. We would meet again in the middle by the creek where Chiron would give further instructions.

**ELECTRIC TOUCH**

Chiron hammered his hoof on the ground once we made it to the woods.

"Heroes!" Chiron announced, "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. The first team to retrieve the opposing flag and return it across the river shall be the victor. As always, there will be no maiming and no killing. I trust these rules will be respected. The banner must be prominently displayed, and have no more than two guards. Any magical items you may possess, are permitted as well. Every camper who is not injured has to play. Prisoners may be disarmed...but may not be bound or gagged."

"I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!" Chiron spread his hands, and yelled out, "Let the games begin!"

The camper next to Chiron used the conch shell causing the Ares' team let out the loudest battlecry. When they were done, Athena's team pounded their chest with their right hands before carrying their respective weapons, "Blue!" we yelled out