Chapter 1: Where It All Started

This has had to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do—of all the tasks and challenges I've faced in my life—but since I've already begun writing this book and feel like I've overcome half the obstacles, I've chosen to take it on.

I honestly feel proud of being a Cancerian because it is one of the traits that have helped shape who I am today. I was born under the Cancer sign. For those who are unfamiliar with astrology or "star signs," let me explain that the word "cancer" comes from the Latin word "crab," which is our zodiac sign. In addition, summer in the Northern Hemisphere and winter in the Southern Hemisphere, which spins about June 21 to July 22, begins with the Cancer season.

The energy and hearts of those born under the sign of Cancer are said to be shielded. To keep ourselves secure, we frequently conceal our true selves beneath the allegory of hard shells, much like a crab shell.

Nurturing and loyal, Cancers are also protective of their loved ones. While reserved, we stand on a foundation of strength and aren't afraid to act when necessary.

The crab symbol offers a key to understanding cancer's preternatural ability to know things without understanding how we know them. Crabs wander about at night, crawling sideways. Due to our sideways march, we can observe and see life from an alternative perspective than others. In the sign, this translates to creative, artistic, and intuitive minds with the power of (sometimes psychic) perception.

With Leo as the King, Cancer is regarded as the Queen of the zodiac signs as they are currently known. Let's simplify it to my life. I've spent my entire life—now 26 years—living in my shell, believing that if I stayed hidden from the outside world and its problems, I would be safe. To be honest, I've been stalling my development.

* * *

Although I was raised in Emafakatini, Pietermaritzburg—the capital and second-largest city in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa—I was born in Durban on July 14, 1998. The town I was raised in was named in 1838 and is currently governed by the uMsunduzi Local Municipality.

More significantly, the town of Pietermaritzburg is called after uMgungundlovu, the royal homestead of King Dingane(eMakhosini). Up until I was a few years old, I lived in Pietermaritzburg with my paternal grandmother, my father's mother. Even though my grandmother was elderly, I recall that she would carry me on her back as we walked great distances to and from home when I had chicken pox. She had no other choice because our family was not affluent and our home was located in a remote area.

My parents were struggling at the time, working incredibly hard to provide for our family, and I was too little to realize what was going on. To cut a long tale short, everything worked out just perfectly. I had to move back to Durban and live with both of my parents in a flat in the Durban CBD area until I could remember, which was an improvement over what I had previously witnessed.

Regretfully, I had to move to Cabhane, Mtwalume, Port Shepstone to live with my maternal grandmother. Umtalumi, another name for Mtwalume, is a community in Ugu District Municipality in the KwaZulu-Natal province of South Africa—a small seaside village, predominantly a holiday and fishing village.

During my time in Port Shepstone, my family decided I was too smart to wait until I was eligible to start school, and as a result, I was enrolled in Grade 1 and passed my academic year with outstanding results. I was not even 5 years old, but I am not there.

My parents believed it would be wise to move back to Durban, South Africa, to live with my maternal grandmother. Kwa-Mashu is a township located 12 kilometers north of Durban. I had to start preschool again in 2003 at David Landau Pre-Primary School, and then I had to enter Grade R at Roseland Primary School in 2004. I had no idea that would end up working in my favor down the road. As a child, I had to swallow my pride and embrace the changes because I had moved three times in five years.