Chapter 18

Damon

For whatever reason, Angela and Vanessa decided to stop by. Why are they all so invested in my life?

"How are you feeling today, Damon?" Vanessa asked me.

"Like sh*t," I mumbled. "Why are you here? Why is she here?"

Vanessa gave me a hard look that screamed "shut the f*ck up."

"We wanted to see if you were okay, clearly you're fine. We'll leave now." Vanessa turned and started to walk away, pushing Angela along with her. I sighed contently as they left.

Until I heard Angela's voice pleading with Vanessa to let her see me.

I just want to be left alone. I'm tired of having someone watching me 24/7. I am a grown a*s man. I can handle myself.

Angela walked into my room. She was wearing a baggy T-shirt, the hem was bellow her butt, and a pair of sweatpants. How she managed to get out of the house wearing that around Vanessa? I don't know.

"I brought you some snacks," she told me, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I didn't know what you liked so I just got what everyone likes."

"I'm not everyone," I grumble.

She looks taken back by my words. Her brief pause and blank face annoy me. She smiles at me and nods.

"I know," she says. "You are very special."

"Don't mock me," I groan.

She shakes her head. "I'm not mocking you, Damon. I—"

"Can we just get this over with?" I grumble.

"Oh," she frowns. "Okay." She turns the white grocery bag upside down on the bed. "I got gummy bears, sourpatch kids—"

"I don't like candy," I interject.

"Good, 'cause I didn't get a lot of candy." She smiles at me and starts digging through the pile of snacks. "Chips, beef jerky, pretzel bites." Angela's smile doesn't drop once as she lists everything she bought. Almost everything she bought I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. "Anything sound good to you?" She asks.

I sigh.

"The beef jerky."

"I knew you'd say that," she laughs. "I bought like ten of the long sticks." She pulled one out of the pile at a time and tossed them to me. "Why don't you tell me what you like so I can make an accurate list and try again?"

"I don't need anything."

"But do you want anything?"

I sit up, my back presses against the headboard of my bed. Sighing, I say, "listen, Angela. I don't need any of your gifts. I don't want Vanessa or her husband here. I don't want you here. I told you to stay away from me, yet here you are, all the way up my a*s like the nuisance you are."

She seems to shrink at my words. She sits silently for several seconds, soaking in the truth I opened her eyes to. Slowly, she gets off the bed and nods.