Chapter 11 - Choose the Best

The first lecture passed, and the second one was about to begin. As Sid shot a glimpse at his wristwatch, it wasn't a puzzle for him to realize that the time was ticking faster than usual.

Ravi didn't share the same feeling, however; he insisted on sticking around a bit more. The public park they were in (the favorite place for students to goof off) appeared less crowded at this point, so you'd find mostly senior citizens.

A feeling crossed Sid's heart that not many years have remained in his life to join these oldies. He couldn't make heads or tails why this eccentric thought was drifting through his mind. Come on, give me a break, stupid mind, stop pondering over the fact which is like forty years away. But he was indeed feeling like sixty, can't deny it. Maybe because of the array of events that took place lately?

"Seriously, we're not planning to be here forever, right? Let's go now," he said, creases of frustration were betraying his all-the-time relaxed attitude.

"Let's wait for some time." Ravi replied, "Hey, but what about that yesterday's dream you were talking about the other day?"

A brilliant way to kill more time, Ravi manifested an evil grin on his lips, which went unnoticed to Sid.

"Well, just a dream. Forget it. Let's move now."

Ravi frowned, "We're not going to move from here if you don't tell me about it."

"Okay," Sid mumbled and heaved a sigh. At first, hesitation in speaking about yesterday's dream stopped him, but then he narrated the whole dream elaborately.

"How can you remember this dream so precisely?" Amazed by such narration, Ravi did have his reservations because dreams are something hard to remember once we woke up.

"I don't know," Sid shrugged with jutted lips. "I also took it as a projection of the mind, and then I observed hidden allegories in it. The dense forest represented ignorance, while the storm represented psychological trauma. The urban city described the busy life of people, and the fake Guru implied how people are getting fooled by these swindlers. The riot depicted the negative images of the religion. Last but not least, the hideout represented shelter that I'm seeking so desperately."

"Sounds interesting to me."

"I want to seek the essence of all the religion, which binds humanity together and could never sunder them. The common thread."

A moment later, Ravi's phone started ringing. It was Raj calling. Ravi eyed Sid, who gestured him to receive the call, and he did it. On the other end, Raj inquired on their whereabouts to which he answered that they're in the public park, near to the college. Raj said that he's coming over and quickly disconnected the call. The battle of faiths again, huh?

No! Not at all.

"If this time, he tried to debate me," Sid thundered, "I won't go easy on him at all. I will snap and spew out all of those documented facts that Prakash has shown me."

"Alright," Ravi replied, also feeling bit teed off. "You know, you're too soft sometimes. If Raj sparks up a debate, you know the drill."

Sid nodded and felt the uneasiness rolling in his gut. His breath was jumpy like a marathon runner. Crazy religious questions began to haunt his mind again. He thought if Raj was coming to kick off a debate, this time, mercy won't be part to play in it. It will be his decimation of faith.

Five minutes passed. At last, Sid and Ravi caught sight of Raj, walking towards them. When he came closer, Ravi moved up aside to make some place for Raj to sit.

Raj's face neither conveyed any vengeful expression nor his voice when he said, "Why are you guys still here? Don't you want to attend the second lecture?" He repeatedly slapped on his sitting place to brush off the dust.