Chapter 28. Cinders of the Past

"Argh! Why is this stupid map so hard to follow?"

A young general and his troop were rummaging through the forest, completely and utterly lost. They had been trying to find their way to a certain village for hours with no luck, and it was needless to say the general was growing impatient. All he had was a torn paper map and a compass, no fancy electronics the more experienced and older generals possessed.

"'You don't need expensive gear on a minor mission like that. You're just a rookie'," the general said in a mockful voice, repeating the words said to him by the stinky General Zuzhou. He groaned. "What does that douchebag know anyway? He hasn't succeeded in anything for the past year. He literally failed each and every one of his missions!"

The soldiers behind him remained silent. That was the one good thing about them. They were always quiet, they didn't blab, they didn't criticize or judge, and they did not meddle.

All of a sudden, the general heard a little noise in his earpiece indicating someone (wonder who) was trying to contact him. He groaned and pressed a tiny button on the earpiece.

"What?" He said angrily.

"That's not a very polite way to talk to your brother, kiddo."

The general huffed. "But you're interrupting my mission."

"According to your tracker, you've gone about a mile past Talara. You were supposed to be there by now."

"Tracker? What tracker?"

"I put a tracker in the inside pocket of your uniform."

"Why?" The general exclaimed and dug his hand into the said inside pocket. He, indeed, found a tracker and turned it off angrily before pocketing it again.

"Because I knew you'd get in trouble."

"Well, it's not my fault if I have such a foolish bunch of losers and a good-for-nothing map with me!"

"Describe your surroundings."

"I don't need your help!"

"Just let me help, okay? Where are you?"

The general groaned. "In some forest. Lots of trees, bushes and idiot soldiers."

"Is that all you can see?"

"No, I'm just saying useless stuff for fun! What do you think?!"

"Calm down."

"Easy for you to say. You're pretty comfortable as far as I'm aware. Meanwhile I'm lost in a forest, I'm tired, I'm cold, I'm thirsty and I'm hungry!"

A sigh sounded from the other end. "This is why I told you to eat breakfast."

The general rolled his eyes. "I'll find my way on my own. Thanks for nothing. Bye."

"Don't get yourself killed out there."

"I'm not a baby! Once you return to the palace, you'll hear from the emperor himself how successful my mission was. Then you'll be proud of me."