Chapter 29. The Prince of the People

Lloyd looked around in his room. He was ever so comfortably resting on his bed, feeling the warm summer wind flooding in through the open balcony doors. The thin, delicate curtains were quivering and occasionally reaching far inside as the wind blew on them. It was so sunny and warm outside. The rustle of leaves sounded heavenly.

Lloyd let his eyes travel through the things in his room. The shelves near the balcony doors bore small statues and other souvenirs his parents had brought him from all over Ninjago, snowglobes his grandfather had collected for him from the most extraordinary places, and rocks and seashells from his own trips to wherever his feet took him. The small nails he had hammered on the wall close to the entrance had colorful handmade bags hanging from them, gifts from his aunt Ana. And, of course, there were musical instruments from his very modern drum kit to a 400-year-old lute.

He loved all those little things that made his room his.

Lloyd got up from his bed and left his room. He walked down the palace corridors, barefoot, feeling the cozy sensation of his feet against the wooden floors. They were so smooth and clean, and sort of chilly. They'd probably been mopped just now.

Lloyd passed by the throne room, where his mother was discussing the details of a charity event with a palace aid. He also ran into his grandparents, who had clearly just returned from a sunny stroll. And finally, he came to the palace entrance and walked out, only to be met with warmth, sunshine, cooling breezes and his beloved cousin and friend sitting on the stairs.

"Hey Lotus Flower," Morro said with a bit of a grin, turning to peer at him.

"Hey," Lloyd responded, coming to sit between his honorary brothers.

James playfully leaned his head against Lloyd's and closed his eyes with the sun shining on his tan-colored face. "I'd do anything to have been able to stay with you, Lloyders."

Lloyd furrowed his brow. "What do you mean? You are here."

Morro looked at him with wistfulness in his eyes. "But you know this is just a dream, don't you?"

Lloyd blinked— and felt an odd swooping sensation scooping him up. Everything around him disappeared, and he started to feel something poking at his arm.

Lloyd snapped awake, confused as to where he was at first. Memories flooded back into his mind once he saw Kai next to him and recognized the barn ceiling. He immediately turned his head to see what was poking him from his other side and came face to face with the tiniest, cutest and whitest little lamb he'd ever seen. 

"Oh, hello you," he said sleepily, gently petting the animal.

The lamb, only one of many sheep visiting the barn, pawed his arm some more, making the prince crack a tired smile. It appeared the little cottonball's actions not only awoke Lloyd, but also Kai. The brunet shifted beside the blond. His eyes remained closed, but something about him screamed "I'm awake but don't want to be".

Grinning, Lloyd picked up the lamb and placed it between himself and Kai. The lamb looked and sniffed around for a moment before advancing towards Kai and giving his face a good lick.

"Ugh!" Kai yelped, pulling away and wiping his face.

Lloyd chuckled, petting the lamb.

Kai opened his eyes and immediately came face to face with the mini sheep, who bleated cutely. He didn't seem to find the lamb as adorable, but looked at it like it was a demon in disguise.

"Evil lamb," he mumbled drowsily. "I'm gonna turn him into my breakfast."

"Don't you dare. He's adorable," Lloyd disagreed, sitting up and bringing the bleating lamb onto his lap. He petted it gently, which the little one seemed to like.