66

The cool night air swirled around Abhimanyu as he ascended to the college terrace, the very spot where his past words had inflicted a heart-wrenching wound

Five years had passed, yet the memory of breaking Kunj's trust hung heavy in the air.

He reached the top, his heart hammering in his chest. There, silhouetted against the moonlit skyline, stood Kunj, a casual elegance radiating from him even in his simple attire. The sight of him, the man he still loved fiercely, sent a jolt of nervous excitement through Abhimanyu.

"Kunj," Abhimanyu called out hesitantly, his voice barely a whisper in the vastness of the night.

Kunj didn't turn. His voice, when he finally spoke, was laced with ice. "Speak, Abhimanyu."

The coldness cut deep, but Abhimanyu knew it was a wall he had himself built brick by brick. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for the confrontation to come. "Kunj," he began, his voice hoarse, "I… I'm sorry. I am truly sorry."

A single, humorless scoff escaped Kunj's lips.

He finally turned, his eyes blazing with a mixture of hurt and fury. "Sorry, huh? Sorry for what exactly, Abhimanyu?  For breaking my heart into a million pieces five years ago?  For making me believe in a future that never existed?  For making me question the very concept of love?"

Each word was a shard of glass piercing Abhimanyu's soul. He saw the pain reflected in Kunj's reddened eyes, a single tear tracing a glistening path down his cheek. Instinctively, Abhimanyu reached out to brush it away, but Kunj flinched back, his eyes hardening.

"Don't touch me," Kunj spat, his voice tight with suppressed emotion.

"Abhimanyu," Kunj continued, his voice low and laced with disbelief, "you have the audacity to say sorry? Don't you even try to play the victim here."

Abhimanyu clenched his fists, the frustration warring with the desperate need to make things right. "Kunj, please," he pleaded. "Let me explain. I know I hurt you, but trust me, I had my reasons."

Kunj scoffed again. "Reasons? What reasons could possibly justify what you did?" His voice trembled slightly, betraying the storm raging within him.

"Don't tell me it was your ego. Because the only thing you hurt was my heart, not your precious pride."

Abhimanyu felt trapped, suffocated by his own past mistakes. He knew excuses wouldn't erase the pain he'd caused. Yet, he had to try to make Kunj understand. "Kunj, believe me," he pleaded, "I didn't want to hurt you. It was a lie, yes, but I was…"

Abhimanyu knew he couldn't defend his actions without revealing the truth, a truth he'd kept buried for so long. But could he trust Kunj with such a heavy secret?  He took a deep breath, his voice thick with emotion.

"Kunj, believe me, I never wanted to hurt you. It was… it was a lie," he confessed, his voice barely a whisper. "I was manipulated... by my mother."

Kunj's eyes narrowed. "Your mother? Now you're going to blame her?"  His voice dripped with sarcasm. "Just accept it, Abhimanyu. You hurt me. You made a choice, and it destroyed everything we had."