10

"You look stressed, my dear," Irene's father noticed, and she couldn't make any excuses because her stepmother knew what she was up to last night.

"I'm so sorry. We had a bit of fun last night," Irene said timidly. She couldn't even touch her food because of her banging headache. She hated hangovers.

"What are you sorry for, child? For choosing happiness after being depressed for years?" he asked, and Irene smiled. She felt really lucky to receive such support from them.

As usual, her stepmother bought her new clothes again. Her stepmother was so warm and loving that it wasn't difficult to accept her in her life at all. Of course, her mother was irreplaceable, but having her stepmother with her now felt like she was given another chance at life—at everything.

Initially, they wanted Irene to come home with them to the Blue House so she could be properly introduced to important people before the public. Irene had no idea her parents were planning such a huge event just to introduce her.

"You should invite your friends," her stepmother said.

"I'm still waiting for the right opportunity to tell them," she replied. Honestly, this had been pressuring her for days. She felt like the luckiest girl ever to have them as parents, but at the back of her mind, Irene lowkey wished to live a private life with them. She didn't care if no one knew about her existence. She only cared about having a family and a home. She didn't care about what other people said, or what social status, or popularity they have. She was already contented with this peaceful lunch and casual talk they have twice a week.

Irene knew she had to weigh her decisions soon. She couldn't delay things because once they introduce her to the public, there was no turning back.

••'~•••▪︎☆▪︎ •••~'••

Irene's week started with daily rehearsals after class for the upcoming contest—and she regretted joining in the first place.

"You go on, we still have an hour left," she said to Yeri as she waved goodbye. She looked back at the other candidates stretching their legs, probably tired from walking in heels. She looked at her own pair, which her stepmother bought for her. She never expected she'd be joining a beauty pageant ever in her life.

"Everyone to the stage now!" their stage director said, and she forced herself up.

It was already 7 in the evening when they finished, and she received a text from Jennie.

Jennie:
Eonni, Taehyung oppa said
he'll come and get you,
so don't go anywhere.

Me:
Really? Okay. Thanks.

Weird, she thought. Taehyung would have texted her himself if he planned to pick her up. And true enough, a car pulled right in front of her.

It wasn't Jimin's car. Did he borrow it from someone else?

She walked closer to the vehicle and knocked on the window. She smiled widely, but as the windows rolled down—it revealed Hoseok.

"Missed me?" he said, staring at her. Irene could feel her chest tightening, her breath constricted as she panicked, taking small steps back before she dropped her things on the floor.

She wanted to run but couldn't even look away. It was as if she was glued to the ground, her mind unable to send proper signals to her body. She could only drag her feet backward as she feared for her life once again. All the trauma he had brought her came back to life in a split second.

Hoseok sneered, his eyes dark and piercing as he threatened her trembling self once more. He didn't even need to try harder because she would have run upon hearing his name.