4

"Are you okay?" Taehyung asked, concern evident in his voice. They were in a law firm waiting for the lawyer friend Taehyung had mentioned.

Irene laughed nervously. "You've been asking me that so many times."

"That's because you don't look okay," he replied, handing her a bottle of water.

"I'm fine... just nervous. I don't think I can face him again," she said, anxiety creeping into her voice. The thought of being held hostage again by her ex haunted her.

"Enough with being paranoid, Irene. It's not helping," she silently chided herself when Taehyung wasn't looking.

Soon, Atty. Kim Namjoon arrived, and the questioning began.

"We met in the summer of 2013. I was with my friends, and he was part of the group performing that night. I was very young, and he had a strong, persuasive character. Our relationship was smooth sailing at first. My stepfather was very strict, and my mother was rarely home because she worked multiple jobs to pay for my college tuition. Hoseok and I only saw each other three to four times a week. It worked until my mother died. With nowhere else to go, I moved in with him."

"Why didn't you stay with your stepfather?" Atty. Kim asked.

"He was alcoholic and abusive. My mother died working too much, supporting the family because she felt guilty for marrying the wrong man. I tried to convince her to leave him because he was useless, but she said I needed a father." Irene's hands started trembling as she recounted her past. She couldn't stop shaking until Taehyung held her hand warmly.

"What happened when you moved in with Jung Hoseok?"

"It was like he became a whole different person. He grew insecure, jealous, and violent. At first, he would leave during arguments, but then he started to hurt me physically. I couldn't leave the house, with nowhere else to go, I was terrified of what he might do if he caught me." Tears unknowingly escaped her eyes as she relived the painful memories.

After giving her statement to Atty. Kim, Taehyung and Irene decided to buy some essentials she wasn't able to get yesterday. She wondered where Jungkook had gone, but Taehyung said he went to check on Hoseok's situation at the police station. As they walked back to the car, Taehyung noticed a man inside a black van from afar. Irene, curious, looked as well, but the van door closed immediately, and it left.

"Taehyung?" she called after him.

"Hmm?"

"Don't you have work to do? Aren't you married or have other business to attend to?" Irene asked, realizing he had spent the whole day just helping her.

"I'm still taking my break. And since I'm alone now, I'm trying to take things slow," he explained, opening the car door for her. She thanked him and got in, silently comprehending his words.

If he just got out of service, it meant his sister died just recently. She understood why he was overprotective, but she didn't know why he was so determined to help her.

"Seatbelt, please," he said, snapping her out of her thoughts. She quickly fastened her seatbelt as they drove off.

"What was Jisoo like?" Irene asked, suddenly curious about Taehyung's motives. The guilt was understandable. They only had each other to rely on, and he failed to help her when she needed him most. But it wasn't intentional; he had to enlist and serve the country. What was so unacceptable about her death?

"She was always a happy child. When we were young, she had a unique personality. Not everyone understood her because she was always happy. Even with problems, she found ways to stay positive," Taehyung reminisced. Irene kept quiet, worried she might be digging up old scars.