Side story:Part three.

Prince Evan's POV.

"Seriously? Paperwork? Shouldn't that be your domain, not mine? You're the king, after all," I said, my voice laced with sarcasm and a hint of exasperation. My brother had been keeping me captive in his office, as if trying to rescue me from what he deemed a life of idle indulgence. But the truth was, I was still reeling from Adar's departure just a week ago. My brother's sternness was a constant reminder that I needed to snap out of my melancholy, but his efforts only made me feel more trapped.

All I craved was a brief respite, a moment to collect my thoughts and process the tumultuous emotions that had been building up inside me. But my brother's insistence on spending time together only served as a poignant reminder of the forbidden fruit that He represented - a tantalizing possibility that I knew could never be mine.

"What else do you have to offer, Evan, besides hiding away in your chambers?" my brother asked, his tone tinged with concern and a hint of frustration. "I can't bear the thought of you squandering your potential, wasting away in solitude. If this continues, I'll have no choice but to appoint you as my assistant, or perhaps task you with overseeing my meetings. I need to keep you by my side, if only to ensure you don't lose yourself completely."

He paused, his expression softening. "I can't abide the thought of you drowning in sorrow, even if you have brought this upon yourself. But I must correct you, Evan - you are not fine. You're merely existing, and that's not enough."

I shot back, my voice laced with defiance, "I'm not sad, I'm just...lost. And I don't think this forced productivity is helping. Shouldn't you be attending to Simon, your husband? He's the one who needs your attention, not me."

My brother chuckled, a low, rumbling sound. "Ah, but Simon is the one who suggested I keep you occupied."

"Really?"I questioned.

"He's just looking out for you, he is as worried as I am about you." My brother added smiling lightly at me.

"You call that looking out for me?" I exclaimed, my voice rising in indignation. "He betrayed me, and you're defending him?"

My brother stood up, his movements fluid and deliberate. He rounded the table, his eyes fixed on me, and halted behind my chair. I could feel his warm breath on the back of my neck, his heat radiating onto my skin, making me uncomfortably aware of his proximity.

He leaned in, his hands grasping my shoulders, his lips inches from my ear. I stiffened, my heart racing, as he whispered, "Simon has always favored you, Evan. Sometimes, I'm consumed by jealousy." The softness of his tone sent shivers down my spine.

He patted my shoulder, a gentle, condescending gesture, before taking a step back. "I'll leave you to your paperwork now. I have a husband to attend to." He announced, his voice dripping with sarcasm, as he sauntered towards the door.

I was left reeling, my mind in turmoil. How could I possibly develop feelings for Adar when my brother's constant hovering threatened to suffocate me? The feelings I harbored, the love I still held onto, refused to dissipate. I yearned for them to vanish, to be erased from my heart, but they lingered, a constant reminder of what could never be mine.

_____

Prince Adar's POV.

"Did you even get any sleep yesterday?" My sister asked as she walked into my office, which had turned into my second room to waste away in.