Side story: Part eight.

Prince Adar's POV.

As I stood frozen, Evan's gaze met mine, his expression a mix of confusion and curiosity. He seemed taken aback by my unresponsiveness, as if he had expected a reaction, any reaction, from me. But I was numb, my emotions paralyzed, my heart racing with a mix of anxiety and anticipation. The only sensations I could discern were the tingling of my skin and the shivers running down my spine as our eyes locked. He was undeniably present, no apparition or hallucination.

Without a word, I beckoned him to follow me to my office, my silence a testament to my turmoil. I implored him to keep his distance, to not touch me, but my pleas fell on deaf ears. Evan was resolute in his pursuit, and I, weak in my resolve. And so, I found myself surrendering to his embrace, our bodies entwined on the bed, my doubts and fears momentarily silenced by the thrum of desire.

Yet, even as I gazed at his serene form, my mind whispered warnings of impending heartache, that this truce was fleeting, that he would soon tire of me and depart, leaving me bereft and foolish once more. With a heavy sigh, I extricated myself from his slumbering form, seeking solace in the familiar rituals of a shower, toothbrush, and dressing, my movements quiet and deliberate, hoping not to rouse him from his slumber. And so, I slipped out of my room, leaving behind the tangled web of our relationship, if only for a brief reprieve.

As I stood in my office, trying to maintain a facade of indifference, Evan's presence was a constant reminder of my vulnerability. Was I allowed to express the turmoil that churned within me, to reveal the depth of my longing and the ache of my heart? Or was I doomed to conceal the truth, to pretend that his presence didn't stir the embers of our past, didn't rekindle the flames of desire and hurt? My skin still tingled from his touch, my heart still raced at the mere sight of him, and yet I was expected to behave as if he meant nothing to me.

The hypocrisy was suffocating, the effort to appear strong and unmoved a Herculean task. For I had already fallen, weak to his charms, weak to the memories we shared, weak to the hope that maybe, just maybe, things could be different this time around. But that hope was a cruel mistress, a fleeting dream that would soon turn to dust and ashes, leaving me with nothing but the bitter taste of heartache.

I let out a deep sigh, my heart heavy with the weight of my desires. Inwardly, I hoped that Evan wouldn't appear, wouldn't confront me with the consequences of our passionate encounter. I wasn't prepared to face his inquiries, to relive the memories of our intense union. My mind rebelled against the idea of revisiting the previous night's events, yet my body betrayed me, responding with a fierce longing at the mere recollection of his suppliant form, his eyes pleading for more, his body craving my touch. The conflicting emotions warred within me, leaving me torn and vulnerable.

A knock on the doors broke me out of my thoughts. My assistant was here, great something to get my mind off of things.

"His royal highness went for a drive today. I only but accompanied along to keep him busy." Ellison spoke. He had a look of sadness in his face.

" is that why your sad?" Adar questioned. Ellison loved going on drives into the kingdom he had no reason to brood. He only but turned around and shut the doors. What was so secretive?

"We had reached the heart of the kingdom," Ellison continued, his voice laced with a mix of emotions. "His Royal Highness was indulging in the sights, beaming with pride as he acknowledged the gazes of the people. But then, something caught our attention, something that even I, in my naivety, thought he would embrace with an open mind.

We chanced upon two boys, their lips locked in a tender kiss. I must confess, it was a sight both repulsive and beautiful, a paradox that left me perplexed." Ellison's words hung in the air, leaving Adar to ponder the implications, his mind racing with the potential consequences of this encounter.