Side story: Part five.

( I'm not good with writing pep talks. Yes, I know I'm rushing it and could have found another way for them to deal with the situation but I feel it's ideal or is right for Evan to go. Adar can't wait anymore. I need to see Evan fight for Adar man, so he needs to go!)

Prince Evan's POV.

I had no recollection of how I managed to stumble into my chambers, but somehow I found myself sprawled across my bed, my head throbbing with a dull ache, a painful reminder of the excesses of the previous night. And yet, despite the lingering fog of alcohol, today felt different, like a stark departure from the familiar routine I had grown accustomed to. Normally, I would have been up and about, trudging to my brother's office to tackle the tedious task of rectifying errors on papers that seemed to blur before my very eyes. Simon would have made an appearance, bearing sustenance to fuel our labors, but all of that had been upended by my own reckless outburst, As I had unleashed a torrent of emotions that left me feeling sullied and ashamed.

I had single-handedly ravaged everything with my own unbridled tongue, polluting Melus' ears with the unguarded confession of my deepest feelings, knowing full well that he wouldn't receive it with equanimity. I had irreparably damaged the delicate balance of our relationships, not just with Melus, but also with Simon, who had been blissfully unaware of the turmoil that churned within me. And I had no illusions that Melus would spare Simon the gruesome details of my revelation; no, he would undoubtedly share the truth with the one person who mattered most to him, shattering the very foundation of our trio's harmony.

The doors burst open with a sudden force, and Simon strode in, his smile radiating warmth and concern. He hastened towards me, flinging off the blanket that covered me, and I was abruptly reminded of my state of undress. Simon's eyes widened in surprise, and he took a step back, his face flushing a deep pink as he averted his gaze.

"Sorry!" he exclaimed, his voice laced with embarrassment. "I thought you'd be here, and Melus had no idea where you were. You haven't eaten since yesterday, and I was worried sick!" Simon's words tumbled out in a rush as he flung open the curtains, flooding the room with sunlight.

His expression seemed to convey a sense of joy, but I couldn't fathom how he could be so oblivious to the tension that had developed between Melus and me the previous day. Had Melus truly kept our confrontation a secret from Simon?

My curiosity had been piqued, and I couldn't help but inquire about the events of the previous day. The thought of facing Melus was unbearable, and I had no intention of setting foot in that office.

"Simon, did Melus utter a word about our altercation?" I asked, my voice laced with trepidation.

"Upon my return, I detected the pungent aroma of wine on his breath, and he was beset with an uncharacteristic clinginess, repeatedly professing his love," Simon replied, his eyes scanning my chamber as he gathered my garments, his fingers moving with a familiar grace. Guess old habits died hard.

"Did he happen to mention my name in your conversation?" I pressed on, my anxiety simmering.

"Indeed, I broached the subject, but he remained tight-lipped, refusing to divulge any information," Simon said, his tone tinged with a hint of curiosity.

"I shall prepare the bathtub for you; take a moment to ready yourself," Simon announced, his footsteps echoing as he disappeared into the bathroom.

As I finished bathing, I wrapped the towel around my waist and began to dress in the clothes Simon had laid out for me. I gazed at him, standing in the corner, his eyes fixed on me with an unsettling intensity.