Side story: Part Six.

( oh please y'all didn't expect Melus to take this so easily? Like he is human after all.)

(new story, revenge of love. Check that too.)

Prince Evan's POV.

I had been hiding in the room, replaying the events that had unfolded. I couldn't believe I had confessed my feelings to my brother, Melus. I thought I had considered every possible outcome, but I hadn't anticipated the rejection and disgust that followed.

As I lay on the less comfortable bed, feeling defeated, the door burst open and a lean boy entered, humming a tune I didn't recognize. He froze when he saw me, his eyes wide with surprise. He bowed hastily and made a quick exit, only to return and repeat the process twice more.

It was almost comical, his attempts to escape the awkward encounter. But the third time he returned, I couldn't help but chuckle. "It's okay, I'm the one in the wrong, not you," I said, trying to put him at ease.

The boy's confusion was palpable, but my words seemed to put him at ease.

"I apologize, I thought I might have entered the wrong quarters, considering I've been here for months," he added, his eyes fixed on me with a mix of confusion and apprehension.

He stood at the door, awaiting my command or gesture, a reminder that I needed to beckon him to act. I patted the bed, inviting him to sit beside me. He did so stiffly, as if hoping to maintain a safe distance.

I found it intriguing that we shared a similar unease. I lifted my legs, intentionally trying to brush against him, but he suddenly stiffened.

"Sorry, but I'm just a servant," he said hastily. "You can't act like that, not even touch me. I'm afraid I might dirty you."

His words were laced with a hint of embarrassment and a deep-seated understanding of the boundaries between our stations.

"I apologize if I have offended you, My Prince," he said, still cowering in the corner with his head bowed.

I chuckled, finding his fear amusing. "You're just like Simon, always so cautious. Does this room transport personality or something?" I teased.

The servant remained still, his eyes fixed on the floor. I sighed, trying a different approach. "Seriously, fear me not. I really don't mind you sitting next to me. I'm hiding from my brother, that's all."

Just then, my stomach growled loudly, reminding me that I hadn't eaten yet. And if I went outside, I'd definitely run into Simon, who would pester me with questions even more than the cooks would.

I looked at the servant, a mischievous idea forming in my mind. "Go make me something to eat. But if you see Simon, don't say who the food is for. And if he insists, just tell him you're taking it to my room because you always bring food to my room around this time. Understood?"

The servant nodded quickly, eager to escape, and hurried out of the room to fulfill my request.

I lounged on the bed, waiting for the boy's return, my gaze wandering around the room. The last time I was here, the sounds coming from this room had shattered my illusions and forced me to confront the reality of my brother's love for Simon.

Thirty minutes passed, and the boy returned with a delectable spread that made my stomach growl with anticipation. He placed the food on a small table and poured water, carefully positioning it between my legs.

I dug in as soon as he bowed, savoring the flavors. "Sir Simon wasn't suspicious," he reported, his head still bowed. "But he did follow me, and I had to make a detour to your room. I was sweating bullets."