1O I Just Wanna Be Kissing In Summer

"I JUST WANNA BE KISSING IN SUMMER"

My mom tried to pick fights with me over the next couple of days. I'd gotten good at dodging those bullets. Unlike last week, I didn't out right avoid her. I spoke to her in the most polite way I could manage. I asked her about work, complimented her cooking, even did the dishes oncd. But as soon as she turned nasty, I excused myself.

I was still unsure where I stood with being grounded, so when Cherry got back from her grandparents house, I told her to come over. My dad didn't see an issue, but of course my mom tried to find something to complain about.

She said I couldn't have friends over until I cleaned my room. She looked silly when my dad told her he'd just seen my room and it was spotless. Which it was.

"Have you replied to the email?" Cherry asked now, laying across my bed painting her nails. She had her braids out, her natural curly hair fluffed out around her head like a crown.

I sat on my carpet, painting my toes black. "No. I'm too nervous."

I read over Bea Lopez's email at least five times I day, but couldn't bring myself to contact her.

"What if she wants to see more of my songs? I have nothing to show her without my notebook."

Cherry swiped a pastel purple across her thumbnail. "Faye, you walk around singing random, made up song lyrics all the time. You sang about Skittles two minutes ago. You can fill up a new songbook in a day."

I laughed, remembering the nonsense song I came up with when I found an unopened pouch of the rainbow candy in my desk drawer. "I don't think those are the kind of songs Bea Lopez is looking for."

"You'll never know what kind of songs she's looking for if you don't respond to the email."

She had a point. And if I was being honest with myself, not having my notebook wasn't the only reason I hadn't replied.

My real hangup was that I wanted the meeting to go well. I wanted to sign a record deal. Win awards. Play sold out arenas. Hear my songs played in grocery stores.

I wanted it all so much that it scared me. If the meeting was a bust...I don't think I'd recover. I couldn't stomach even the thought of Bea Lopez deciding I wasn't a right fit for her lable.

Normally, I rushed into things with little to no preparation, but I couldn't do that this time. I had to put my best foot forward. If I showed up to that meeting, it had to be with my best songs.

"I need my notebook," I groaned. "I should put up missing posters."

Cherry painted one of her nails pink. "I think those only work for pets and children."

"My songs are my children!"

Cherry painted her final nail a baby blue. "Speaking of children. Are you helping out Peter today?"

Since that night he let me stay over and use him like a human teddy bear I hadn't talked to him much. He'd been busy with the daycamp. I was so determined not to start a fight with my mom that I didn't dare ask her if I could leave the house.

Maybe today was a good time to try. When Cherry left--she had a beach day planned with cousins from out of town--I found my mom in the living room.

Dad wasn't there, unfortunately. I almost decided against asking her anything without him there to defend me. But she'd already spotted me.