XXXXVII. the end battle for love

vanraj :

My mind was numb as I sat before Badshah.
He had a charming smile plastered on his face. My gaze constantly shifted to Samar.
Yes, it was him. I knew it. Although Sumedh looked exactly like him, I knew, this was Samar. The son I mourned for, for years.

Yet, I could not rejoice or be happy.
He was serving an enemy.

Anupamaa stared at me, eyes numb. She knew what I was going through, and I knew, she was going through the same.

"So.. let's begin the story, shall we?", Badshah said, as I inhaled deeply, and nodded.

"Let's go a little back in time.. say.. around the time your Samar was born.", Badshah said sitting back.
I drew in a sharp breath and sat back.
"What about it?"
"You remember we crossed paths in a hospital.. Bhabhi ji was pregnant back then. Sixth month, I believe.", He said.

It took me a moment but the blurred memory slowly resurfaced.

We were at the hospital for Anu's routine check up. We were just entering when I crashed into Badshah, Samrat then. He was with his wife and a young son. We had a warm meeting. Then Anu and I went for the check up. Everything was fine. While we were leaving, suddenly, there was a fire.
"We have to leave fast..", I told her as she clutched onto my arm, having slight difficulty in walking. The smoke was terrible, she started having a breathing difficulty too as she started coughing.
"Vanraj!", I had heard from behind. It had been Samrat's wife. She was caught up in the fire.
"Arrey.. it is your friend's wife.. You should save her..", Anupamaa said through her coughs.

I gulped nervously.
"I.. I will.. let me take you out first.", I said as I dragged Anu outside, with me.
After safely escorting her out, I did try to run back in, but the fire brigade was here.
They did not let me.

Believing that his wife was probably saved by the firemen, I left with Anu.

I stared at Anupamaa, past him.
Her eyes locked with mine.

And we knew, exactly why we were here.

"Good thing you remember.", Badshah whispered, his tone, icy cold.
He bent towards me as I forced myself to look at him. Guilt soaring.
"My wife.. and son.", He paused, inhaling deeply, "They died."
I gulped.
"I had to save Anu.. She was chocking-"
"MY WIFE AND SON DIED!", He shouted. His voice echoed. I held silence, looking down.
"THEY DIED BECAUSE YOU CHOSE THIS WOMAN!"
"She is my wife!", I snapped back.
"OH IS SHE NOW?? YOU WIFE?", He asked, as his lips curved into an evil grin.

"Is she your wife now Vanraj Shah?!", He asked.
My breath caught up as I tried hard to breath.
Badshah sat back, inhaling deeply.
"Hurts.. doesn't it?", He asked in a low whisper, "To lose the things you love the most.. be it your job, your family, your wife.. or your son."

I looked up sharply.

"Ahh.. don't give me that look. Not yet, Comrade.", He said coldly.
"So.. as you now know.. the motive behind me ruining your perfect life..", He said, forcing a fake smile, "I started this by bribing doctors to declare one of your sons dead. Sumedh, of course."

I straightened up. I had guessed that by now.
He stood up as he walked behind his chair, resting his hand on it's top, still bending over.
"But that did not give me enough peace.. You were living jolly well good. I needed to destroy you.. to hurt you and your wife to the magnitude where both of you just don't live happily.", He said.
"A lot of work was done by your lovely Baa though..", He added grinning, "And I got a little involved in the underworld business after getting resigned from army for some forgery."

I drew in a deep breath.

"And then.. when I finally got time.. I decided to get myself a permanent spy. The pan-wala and newpaper boy at your house just wasn't enough.", He said as he walked down to me.
My gaze fixed on him, jaws clenched.
"That is how Brutus came into the picture.", He whispered.

"Who is Brutus, now?", I asked, feeling exhausted.
"Oh boy.. Shakespeare, it was. Julius Caesar's best friend who was the last one to stab him. The CEO of betrayers.", He said, as if it was some kind of amusing joke.
He bent close to my ear.

"Want to know who your Brutus was?", He asked in a whisper.
"Who can it be? Anuj?", I asked irritably.
Badshah broke into laugher.
"Kapadia? Naah.. he was a good coincidence, really. Your Brutus, my friend.. Not Bhabhi ji's. Your only friend.", He said standing behind me, his hands on my shoulder down, holding me firmly down.

I looked at Anupamaa.
And suddenly I saw her pale. She looked like she was shocked all of a sudden.

"The only friend who betrayed you..", I heard Badshah whisper, "Who was your friend.. let's make this easy.. your friend at work? The one who felt like a soulmate from a distant world? The one who screwed up all your morality?"