Chapter 2: Setting Out

"Pauline?"

Halt had come back a few minutes ago from Will's cabin (once his own), and had just stepped into the small suite in Castle Redmont that had been given him and Lady Pauline, his wife and the head of the Diplomatic Center.

"Halt, you're back." Pauline came out from their bedchamber, elegant and well-poised, as usual, even though they were the only people present. "How did it go?"

"Good," replied Halt, giving her the smile that is reserved for her alone, "But I've got news for you."

"Indeed," Pauline said, raising a single eyebrow slightly.

"Alyss suggested that you come as well."

For once in the entire life of this beautiful courier, Pauline found nothing to say for a moment. "Why?" She finally managed.

Halt felt weirdly disappointed, and said in an uncharacteristically gentle voice, "Don't you want to travel with me, my beautiful courier?"

"Of course I do! But really, Halt, 'one riot, one ranger' since when have you ever heard of two couriers and two rangers setting out together on any mission?" Lady Pauline seemed to have regained some of her usual composure.

"Treat it as a field trip, if you want. Please, Pauline, we've never gone on a mission together."

Pauline laughed softly, "Oh, my dear Halt, you look much cuter when you try to intimidate people. But then, this different side of you is so irresistible that I guess I shall have to come."

Halt scowled and turned away to hide his happiness that she had agreed. "Alyss said she's got some stuff to look after; we'll probably set out in a week."

Pauline nodded. "Well. Since we're going to travel together, you will definitely allow me to pack and organize our stuff. So. Keep. Your. Hands. Off."

Her tone was final, and Halt realized it would be pointless, and perhaps even dangerous, to argue with her on this. "Of course. Never would have dreamed of it."

>>>———>

"Um hello? Everyone still alive and breathing?" Alyss, as a born diplomat, felt compelled to start a conversation between herself and the three other silent statues riding with her, no matter how awkward it would be to do so.

"Yes, why?" Asked Halt, turning to her quizzically. "You don't expect us to have been attacked just yet, do you?"

"And you always say that I ask two questions at once," said Will, a smug look on his face, then without giving Halt time to think of a reply, he added, "Also I believe that Alyss was merely trying to get our old graybeard talking."

"That interpretation is most likely correct," put in Pauline with a pointed look at Halt to stop him from launching into a verbal battle with Will. "As diplomats, we tend to dislike the quiet solitude Rangers so value, therefore it might be a good idea for you two men to stop maintaining your stiff and stern facade."

"Not true." Will said. "Terribly inaccurate to say Halt is grim and stern."

Halt turned a withering look to him, and said, "Indeed. Care to elaborate?"

Will raised a single eyebrow, obstinately refusing to wither, and said, "You know, Halt, there's something I keep wanting to ask you. Remember you used to tell us that sarcasm is not the lowest form of wit, it isn't even wit at all? What happened to that, huh?"

"As I recall, I was talking to Gilan at the time. His was just the un-thought-through, meaningless sarcasm of which the only purpose is to annoy the other person. Not so with me. I only ever use sarcasm as a display of cunningness. Besides, this is not exactly my problem, as I learned most of my verbal digs from my Lady Pauline, the queen of —" his voice faltered as Pauline turned to him with a dangerously sweet smile on her face, "uhh—what I was going to say, was, the queen of diplomatics."

Pauline raised a single eyebrow. "I hope that does not make you the king of diplomatics?"

Alyss gasped in mock horror. "That would be most a most inaccurate and unwise decision indeed."

Halt rolled his eyes and sighed. "You know what, Will? I'm beginning to regret bringing two couriers along for this thing."

Abelard snorted. You secretly enjoy this, don't you, old graybeard.

Halt dug his heels in slightly to show his mild annoyance that Abelard had chosen to start a conversation here in front of other people. Especially people who were not even Rangers.

"Doesn't matter, Halt, just go ahead, I think we all know about the insanity of Rangers." Alyss said suddenly.

"What insanity?" Halt asked indignantly.

"I think she means the habit you have of talking with your horses," said Pauline.

"How—" Halt began.

"I caught Will doing it before," Alyss said, an almost smug look crossing her face.

"Caught!? I told you myself, willingly!"

"Noooooooo! Definitely not. But, whatever. The result is the same."

"But still, Alyss, I told you not to tell anyone else, didn't I?" Said Will.

"I know, I didn't tell anyone! Leastways, not anyone who already knows."

"Like Lady Pauline?"

"Will dear, I know this is completely irrelevant, but, seriously, how many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me Lady? For the hundredth time, just Pauline will do, thank you very much."

"Hey!" Said Halt, "You never object when I call you Lady Pauline!"

Pauline turned on her horse and regarded him for a moment. "Yes. Well. But that is because you're you."

Halt raised his eyes to heaven and muttered darkly under his breath.

"Excuse me?" Asked Pauline, pretending to lean sideways towards him, with one hand behind her ear in a gesture of listening attentively.

"Nothing. I said that that was a perfectly sufficient reason."

A/N: I hope you all enjoy this fanfiction......I would like you all to vote and comment if possible as well! And welcome to point out any errors :)