Chapter 12

'The first time I came to Spiral Hill Village, it was under attack from Eggman.' Sonic thought while running. 'Things haven't changed much.' She thought and ran to see Tails and Cream saving people. 'Looks like the Restoration crew is already handling the evacuation.' she thought and hit a Zombot. 'I better check in with Amy and see what I can do.' she thought and noticed Espoo. 'On second thought - Espio needs back-up!'

Then she went into a Sonic Spit and stopped Zombots from hitting Espio.

"Yo. They have you fighting the whole town by yourself?" Sonic asked.

"Heh. Our numbers have grown thin." Espio said. "Amy and Gemerl are watching the escape shuttle. Gemerl is scanning everyone to make sure they aren't infected." he said. "Tails and Cream are helping anyone they can find." he said. "Last I heard, Silver was managing Ice Paradise on his own." she said. "That leaves me, Tangle, and Whisper to contain the Zombots."

"Yikes. Where's Vector?"

"We found Charmy. We thought we had him contained. I knew better. I shouldn't have let Vector bring him back to Restoration HQ. It's my fault..."

"No, man, you can't..."

"Just like I shouldn't have let you convince me to leave Eggman in Windmill Village." he snapped surprising her and she backed up.

"That was Mr. Tinker." she said. "We had no way of knowing Starline would turn him back into Eggman." she said.

"And if we had dealt with him then we wouldn't have had to worry."

"So-what? We have to assume the worst about everyone and everything? Show no mercy to anyone? No second chances?" she said and they looked at each other.

"There are people to save."

"Right. See you at the shuttle." she said and left running.

Soon she was with Whisper pushing Zombots away and gave Whisper a thumbs up when they were blocked.

"Hey Amy!" Sonic said and Amy looked at her.

"Sonic! Fashionably late, as usual." Amy said.

"You know how I love to make an entrance." Sonic said. "What do you need me to do?"

"Espio, Tangle, and Whisper are keeping the Zombots distracted while Tails and Cream find people." Amy said. "We've made a choke point so Gemerl and I can handle the Zombots that do find us." she said. "We're nearly done, but once we pull back to retreat, the Zombots are going to swarm us."

"So cover the escape. Gotcha. I'll find Tangle and see if she's got any ideas. It's her town after all."

"Hold up, Sonic!" Tails said.

"Yo, Tails! Hey, Cream!"

"H'lo, Ms. Sonic." Cream whispered and Sonic frowned.

"Her mother held back Zombots so we could escape. Cream saw everything." Amy whispered.

"Please tell me you have the data recorder stashed somewhere." Tails said.

"Ran into Eggman and..." Sonic said. "...I'm sorry, bro. I botched everything." she said and they stood there quietly for a minute.

"I-it's fine. Without my lab or the headquarters, I wouldn't have been able to synthesize a vaccine a-anyway..." he said fighting tears.

"All right... Then let's focus on the "now." Tails?" Amy said.

"Right." he said and sniffed. "We couldn't find anyone else. Everyone's become Zombots."

"Then it's time to go. Go signal the others to retreat."