Chapter 7

""Sonic! We need you in Sunset City." Rouge said. "It used to be a Major Merchant Hub. Dazzling jewel markets." she said. "That all came to an end when Eggman tore it up while trying to take over the world." she said. "But it's citizens stayed strong." she said. "After Eggman's defeat, and with the help of the Restoration, they began to rebuild." she said. "But Eggman returned. And with his Metal Virus unleashed, Sunset City may be doomed." she said. "And just when I was planning on helping myself to some five-finger discounts. Oh, well. Rouge out."

Sonic had just knocked down Zombots.

"Anybody out there?! I can't help if I don't know you're there!" Sonic said and continued knocking down zombots. "It's bad enough fighting these zombots makes the infection spread faster." she said and looked at her hands. "I don't need to get grabbed by them, too!"

"Sonic! Up here!" someone said and she looked up to see people in a building. "They've blocked the door! We can't get out!"

"Get ready to run! I'll clear them out!" she said and got ready to run through zombots but was hit by something. "Yow!"

"Hostiles are resilient. Heavier ordinance may be required. All Eggman robots must be eliminated." Omega said.

"Whoa! Hold it, Omega! These aren't your usual mass-produced Badniks!" she said stopping him. "These are innocent people transformed by the Metal Virus! They shouldn't be on your revenge list!"

"Is this a robot?" he asked holding up a zombot.

"Well, I mean, it seems like it..."

"Was it created by Eggman?"

"Technically, but—"

"Destroy all Eggman robots! Nature and origin are irrelevant!" he said and shot at a zombot.

"...Well, at least they seem too hardy for him to really damage..." she muttered.

"Hey Blue!" Rouge said.

"Rouge!"

"Send everyone to The Grand Gold Flick Hotel! We're organizing survivors there!"

"Got it!" Sonic said and started to file people out. "Step lively, folks! Head for the big hotel at the end of the block!"

"Do we have time to thank that robot for saving us?" someone asked.

"Exterminate! Exterminate!" Omega said.

"He's the type of guy who doesn't need thanks." Sonic said. "Now, everyone go straight to the hotel..." she said and ran. "...While I plow the way clear!" she said and went to check on Rouge.

"I saw another wave coming from the East! Get your officers to guard the rear so we don't get surrounded!" Rouge ordered a soldier.

"Yes, Ma'am!" a soldier said.

"Since when did you start giving orders?" Sonic asked.

"I can't live comfortably in high society if there's no civilization, now can I?" Rouge said. "So, three things. First- thanks for coming. Second- don't touch me. And third- how are you doing?"

"Meh. Running from crisis to crisis is keeping it in check, but every hit I give or take makes it worse."

"So... manageable?"

"Sure, we'll go with that." Sonic said looking at her hands.

"I can't say the same for the city. This is a sloppy assault, even for Eggman."

"That's because he's not controlling them. He can't."

"Oh, well isn't that just marvelous." Rouge said sarcastically.