Chapter 3

Later Sonic and Amy were at Echo Mine.

"Y'know what I like best about Eggman?" Sonic asked.

"What's that?" Amy asked.

"His subtlety." Sonic said and they went down. "Looks like there was a heck of a battle here."

"There was! This was where one of our biggest counter-attacks against Dr. Eggman's forces

"There was! This was where one of our biggest counter-attacks against Dr. Eggman's Forces Happened Before You Came back To us." Amy said. We Were Able To Liberate A Lot Of People That Day." she said and they got got and started walking. "We Lost A Lot Of Good People, Too..."

"Hey- You Made Sure It Was Worth it."

"You won the war for us." Amy said.

"Well, yeah. Saving the day is what I do." Sonic said. "And we're here to stop Eggman from performing an encore. Which way?"

"The command hub is down this tunnel." Amy said. "Hopefully the back-up generator still works." she said. "With a little luck, we'll be able to boot up his computer, access his network, and find out what he's planning!"

"Silver and I saw his Badniks emptying a defunct lab, though.* How do you know he hasn't done the same thing here?"

"I don't. But this is the closest abandoned base on file, so it's the best place to start!" Amy said. "Here we are!"

"Finally. It's too dark to run, but all this walking is killing me."

"Please- oh- please work..." Amy said and tried to get it to work. "Woo- hoo! We're in business."

"Man, not even reserve Badniks? Snore-fest."

Meanwhile at Eggman's secret lab.

"Heh-heh-heh! This is so mean I almost feel bad for those dopes." Eggman said. "Almost."

"Sir! There was a ping on the Eggnet! The Echo Mine has come back online!" Starline said running in.

"Mmm'kay. And I should care because...?"

"It's Sonic and Amy Rose." Starline said. "They have unguarded access to your files there, sir."

"What impeccable timing! Cubot, tell Rough and Tumble to meet me in Hangar three."

"You got it, boss!" Cubot said.

"How can you be so casual about this?" Starline said. "The Metal Virus may be viable, but you haven't finished-"

"Starline, you need to learn to enjoy these dramatic sudden deadlines." Eggman said and walked away.

"You finally get off your fat butt and get us those weapons?" Rough asked.

"We've got half a mind to just take over this dump for ourselves." Tumble said.

""Half a mind" is being generous." Eggman said holding something in both hands. "These backpacks are your back-ups. Hit the button on the cross-straps if Sonic gets the upper hand."

"I was hoping for a tail..." Tumble said.

"So what, it gives us superpowers or something?" Rough asked.

"Or something." Eggman said.

"If these are the back-ups, what're we leading with?"

"Get a load of this!"

Back with Sonic and Amy.

"Uh-oh- login screen. Do you even remember any old passwords?" Sonic asked.